1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Planning A Trip

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by JohnnyBiker, May 28, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hot Rider and I have been talking about doing this for awhile now so it has begun. I have started to plan a road trip using the Road Glide of course out to Nevada. since I have never ventured out that way on my own, in my adult life, I ignorant of what roads to take to reach my destination. My tentative destination is Churchill County Nevada which is just outside of Reno. As it looks like now, Google maps has me basically taking Interstate 80 the whole way. I am not overly enthused about riding the freeway for the majority of the time. Are there some roads that are nice to ride on that won't eat up a lot more time to get there? I will have plenty of vacation time, but I guess I don't want to get stranded either, and yes I will have an atlas. But some input on what roads have nice scenery would be appreciated. Thanks Gentleman and lady.
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

try telling google no interstate hwys or toll roads, it should show you something.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Never thought of that. Thanks.:cool:
  4. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Also use mapquest a good bit ... at top left click options, and check avoid highway and tolls, gets some good roads. If you are a member of HOG, they have a trip planning tool, forget which map system it uses, but displays HD dealers and Best Westerns if you want it to, get discounts on Best Western, can book right from tool.
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Google knows everything.
    And it willl allow you to move the route on the map too. And tell you the distance .
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Interstates get you there fast but really suck. Secondary roads are more fun ut do or can take longer. However the scenery is usually much better. Get a good map, the Harley map that comes with your HOG material every year are pretty good.
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I'm a member of AAA and got some free road maps from them. They will also help you plan your route, motels, gas stations, etc. I just wanted the maps, though.

Don't know about now, but when I rode out west years ago, gas stations were pretty far apart . . .
  8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

there's usually a gas station every 75-100 miles but they aren't always where you want them to be, sometimes we fill up at 1/2 a tank and sometimes closer to a full tank, just depends on when I need to pea. :)
  9. FLHTbiker

For a quick pea stop Mcky D's are great cause there everywhere. :D. Out in the desert yea just stop and help keep a bush alive. :D

As for gas I've gone over two hundred before filling up but usually do around 150 or a little more. Some roads or areas out west you see a gas station don't argue about the price or think I'll wait tell the next one, fill it up. Another thing you run into out west and maybe back east to but some don't carry 91 or better octane. I carry a small bottle of octane booster with me that will last for several tanks. :)
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The best plan is no plan, no reservations, just allocate the days, and point the bike
    get close to tired, find a town, get a hotel (ipad with 4g helps) grab a bite,
    clean up, rest, roll on (or KOA if you are a camper) I'm not a camper I like AC, showers
    and cable....
  11. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I look at the harley atlas and they have some of the better biking roads pointed out although there are tons of great roads that aren't marked as such. I think every McDonalds has wifi now so although I'm not sure how the roaming charges for wireless work down there. I know we get killed using a canadian phone unless you pre arrange a package. The state maps from the visitor centres are great as they have more of the smaller [read better for riding] routes in greater detail. KOA campgrounds are relatively clean, showers etc but can be expensive in some areas. In many cases you can get a cheap room in a mom and pop motel for roughly the same money or you could find a different campground..may not be as nice as the koa though. Depending on how fast you and Hot Rider break camp and how much stuff you want to bring will determine whether you camp or motel it. Two up without a trailer and heading down to hot country would lead me to motel it. If you are going to head west on the highway 2 thru North Dakota be aware that there is a lot of oil exploration work being done there and accomodations are heard to get and as the oil workers get paid well the rooms are priced accordingly...just checked the map and that's the long way. Looking at where you're at you will be getting some flat straight riding though. It gets better once you get to colorado
  12. hotroadking

Sleepy you should get a prepaid USA phone when you get into the USA, buy an inexpensive smart phone from wal-mart and put $50 on it, when it gets low, you get a txt, go fill it up.

Drop it in the bag when ya go home...
  13. cardboard

If you come to Texas and want to ride the sites in West Texas you better know where yer going. Better have a plan to git thereand how to git around.:roflmao:
  14. hotroadking

Nah my gps takes care of that

My 44 takes care of problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. cardboard

Let me stick you and yer 44 on the Desert in West Texas.
    Yer lobile to travel over 100 miles and not see anything.

They found 6 mexicans tryin to make it over from Mexico and they found them dead.
    And the picture is of the good part of the desert.
    Everything Stick, *****s or bites. And there are Mountain lions and bear.

Mountain lion attacks boy in Big Bend | KXAN.com

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/mountain-lion-attacks-boy-in-big-bend

[​IMG]
  16. FLHTbiker

That looks like Nevada, rocks and dirt and more rocks and dirt.:gah:

I like riding in places like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

What is the deal with the flowers in the foreground of that photo??? Pretty amazing!
  18. cardboard

The desert has flowers in the spring.

Texas has a lot of different kinds of riding. According to where you want to ride or live

I live in the Piney Woods of East Texas , there are a lot of trees here and I'm pretty close to Lousiana and not far from Arkansas.

Here is what it looks like outside my neighborhood. And I ain't leaving

[​IMG]
  19. FLHTbiker

The rest of the country appreciates your deep concern for staying put :D
  20. FLHTbiker

Those are the Tulip and Dalhia fields in western Oregon