1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Please Help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Crest, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Crest

Crest Member

Hello, I am in need of some ideas on what could have happend. The wife and I took a ride for alittle over 100 miles, 89 Heritage running great, cranking good, started to head back I hit the starter, just clicked, checked lights just fine. Got some other bikers to push me off and it fired right up, I went about 10 miles and had to get gas, left it running, Put it in neutral, light was very bright, went 2 more miles I no longer had any lights all were blown. Stopped at a gas station and it idled for just a minute then it just shut down, I could just barely could see the neutral light. My HD battery is just 3 months old. So what I have now is one very fried ECM, a battery that is completely dead,(won't charge at all on battery charger) and every light on the bike is history. So does anyone have any idea WTH could've happend? I'm sure with all of the knowledge of the members on this board, someone can help me Please. Thanks
  2. Crest

Crest Member

Also, does anyone on here know here to find an 32405-91 ECM, I've looked on ebay, not much to offer. Thanks
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Sounds like your regulator quit regulating and you were overcharging, you'll probably want to run some tests on your stator too...Factory Service Manual and a VOM multimeter is all you'll need to test....

Stock ignition module for your '89 Heritage is 32405-88A...the number you posted came out in '91....I'd suggest a Dyna 2000 module which would go in the stock location or a Dyna 2000i nose cone...Ultima has nose cone ignitions that are the 2000i with their label and are a little cheaper...sig pic below is a '90 Heritage and I'm running a 2000i nose cone ignition
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

call my buddy California Phil, one man shop in KS
    let him know you know us here and tell him HRK sent ya,
    he can help you get a good price on parts..

Sounds like the charging system took a crap, might be the stator
    and rotor, generally goes first, regulators do as well

There are some tests you can do if you have the service manual
    on the charging system, if the battery will take a full charge on a charger
    and pass a load test then you need to test the charging system.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good advice form both above :cool:
  6. Crest

Crest Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I have been doing tests according to the Service Manual, so far my stator checks out as good, with the fried ECM hooked up, I have power to the coil. My question is, my battery is flat out dead, (just 2 months old) and won't take a charge at all, from battery charger. Could this battery going bad cause all of this? As per SM there's no way to check the voltage regulator, so that will be another item to purchase just in case. And I've decided to go with the Dynatek 2000i Ignition (Thanks Lucifer) And will this Dynatek ignition do away with the ECM under the seat?
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it replaces the stock ignition module...The 2000i goes in the nose cone under the points cover it also replaces the ignition pick up sensor

Dynatek Performance Electronics - Harley Davidson FI Controller

Or you can go with this module...it mounts in the same place as your stock module and plugs in to the pick up sensor...

Dynatek Performance Electronics - Harley Davidson -- Dyna 2000

When the regulator went south on my Heritage, I looked at the jell on the back of it and I could see it bubbled above the part of the circuit board that burned out....not a foolproof way to check,but if you see the jell pack lifted off the circuit board,you know it shorted....