1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Plug Chop Technique Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by kiltedcylon, Dec 5, 2008.

1. kiltedcylon

kiltedcylon New Member

I've been reading up on how to do the plug chop tuning method. Here's my problem - my ignition is on the left on the motor mount and there is no kill switch. This presents the problem of pulling in the clutch and then killing the motor. How much will it throw off the readings if I let it idle while I get it into neutral so I can let the clutch go and kill the engine.

I know that it would be best if I either moved the ignition, installed a kill switch or went to a foot clutch. Ain't gonna happen.

Thanks
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

as your not tuning for competition, i dont think that little bit of idleing will hurt your readings.............but do it as quickly as you can...:)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a thought, have the pass turn off the ign while you operate the clutch.....:)
  4. kiltedcylon

kiltedcylon New Member

Thanks,
    I was really hoping that was going to be the advice. I don't need it 1/4 mile perfect but I do need it go all day good.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just FYI

Plug chop is a good method but with todays fuel, ethanol and unleaded, reading plugs is pretty difficult because the fuel burns very clean.

You might not see much difference, but you can feel the difference

If you get it really really really rich you'll see it.
  6. kiltedcylon

kiltedcylon New Member

Oh Great!?!:!@#$@
    Just when I thought I was getting close to the answer......
    I guess that does answer how rich the Super B that's on there right now is running - they's black as coal.
  7. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

yikes

yeah the chop hasn't worked much good with all the cleaners.(Our drag racecars still tell the tell though:D ) Black is not so good though.Lean is just as bad (if not worse quicker). I still turn all the way in the carb jet(s) then turn out 2 and some change then turn in till it runs rough then back out a 1/4 method still gets it good and close. Then fine tune it from there. I am sure if ya got detial questions you will find the answer here.
    I did run a set for a day then checked then, ran 'em for a while. I pretty much got it down for my own satisfaction and bike ability.
    Have fun.

Later,
    Voo1:cool:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If they are black and sooty then yeah it could be rich, LOL

Here is a link to the SNS Super B Manual if you don't have one,

SuperB PDF

Should give you all the tuning tips, pg 7 has the starting jet settings for multiple motor types IE stock vs stroker etc.

Also tells you how to do everything in steps to get it right.

Once you reset everything to start tuning you might want to drop in a nice new clean set of plugs...