1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Plug Gap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 7, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Will having your plug gap set incorrectly affect whether or not you run lean or rich? I am interested in if it is set closer than what is recommended?

Thanks.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I doubt you'd see or feel any difference unless you were running a quarter mile and/or checking gas mileage or on a dyno. Just my opinion.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Generally the higher compression you run the narrower the gap...you could probably go down to .035 with a stock ignition in a hi comp HD engine,but I wouldn't go less than that...(.038-.043 stock setting) hi powered ignition you can widen the gap...here's some info on plug gap...
    Spark Plug Installation Instructions

As far as mileage you'd probably have to go to the hundredths to see a difference
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. JohnnyBiker

I was getting insanely good gas mileage on the road trip with Red. I pulled the plugs and I was definitely running lean. I have the same plugs in that I did before but they were gaped at .035. I left them them there. I am going to re-gap them today.

I wonder if the combination of bringing my timing ramp in early and the V-ductor helped contribute to this?
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

That's more likely than plug gap. Think about it: look at the different pugs out there that They all claim to have advantages but those are only seen on dyno charts. I've run high voltage ignitions on Japanese bikes and messed with plugs and gaps looking to squeeze as much hp as possible in my racing years. Almost always I found that the dyno would show smallest amounts of change due to ignition and plugs and plug gap (unless of course an extreme gap was used either too much or too little. The timing will most certainly make major changes in performance. The V-Ductor may as well, I have one and my mileage went up about 5 miles a gallon.
  6. JohnnyBiker

I agree with you on this 100% after doing some other researching. I was getting about 60-62 mpg. I really like the power that my bike makes with the combination of the faster rpm ramp and V-ductor. I am contemplating of putting a 48 pilot in to compensate. No decision just yet. Thanks for the input.
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

probably the steady speed in which you were riding attributes to the good gas mileage, probably not a fast speed either with two different bikes having troubles. and of course a well tuned engine.
  8. JohnnyBiker

The plugs were white. :eek: Actually, all three of us were moving at average of 65-70 mph the whole way. I did think at one time that I am getting the good mileage because of the steady speeds, but when I pulled the plugs last night I wasn't real surprised either.
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Were they bone white or grayish white?? kinda hard to read plugs these days with the type of fuel available....