1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Plugs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RoadKingBlack2010, Aug 25, 2010.

1. RoadKingBlack2010

RoadKingBlack2010 New Member

I have the 6 year maintenance plan. What brand of spark plugs will my dealer put in and how many miles. I always liked the iridium plugs I used in my Honda VTX 1800 2003.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you cant beat the harley plugs.....not expensive and last a long time.....given everything else is working order.........
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I run autolite plugs.. work great
    so does SNS

HD plugs are fine, just be sure you have the correct plug range
    as the HD ECM uses the spark plug system for detecting knock etc
    you change to the wrong kind of wires and the bike will run poorly...
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have ran those iridiums and I think they are junk. I like the HD plugs better.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I us HD plugs work great..no problems
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i run the screaming eagle plugs , have worked real good for me about a set a year
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

On a newer injected bike I don't think the plugs are as import as they used to be. Spark and timing are very well controlled and the best plug in the world won't improve anything. A better plug will however last longer. I've always used the Screamin Eagles, NGK, and Autolites. In older bikes I've had good luck with the Iridiums but couldn't tell the difference when used on an injected bike.
  8. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I just checked my plugs for the first time with 42,000 miles on them. Looked good, so back in they went. These are the original Harley plugs it came with, and don't know how long they are supposed to last, but will probably change them with another H-D set at 50,000 miles just for peace of mind.

I don't see the need for expensive iridium plugs in these engines. Heck, the plugs in my '99 Silverado still looked good at 100,000 miles!