1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Polar Bear Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 1, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Did the Papa Bear run today. Breakfast at the Whichita Pub 7:30 AM. Did the long ride, 125 miles. Not long but started out real cold with the cold east wind out of the Columbia Gorge. Got on the west side of Portland and got a little warmer. Rode with the heated liner on then warmed up more and shut it off.
    Couple of pics, not a bunch. Was a great day though and ended it up at the Redlande Cafe for soup and sandwiches. :D

Attached Files:

2. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Cool pix, real lucky here, has been so warm for this time of year. Lot of riding the last couple of weeks, but I fear the weather man is catching up with me, but I am ok with that. Think I am ahead of the game. ;)
  3. olbill

olbill Active Member

:):DMarc nice ride to day not to warm not to cold good roads [except the pot holes and they warned us]Man the wind on 205 was fierce if i ran at 75 it smoothed but the man don't like that.Boy those 255 cams sure woke up the sled it's like having a new bike.
  4. FLHTbiker

I knew you would like those cams:D

Those pot holes weren't pot holes man they was craters.
    New bike ran really good though. It was a really good ride for being 1-1-12:D

You going to watch the Ducks and the Cheeze heads play tomorrow.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Sounds like you boys had a good time. Yup, a 125 miles can seem long if it's COLD. Once I rode my ironhead from northern Ohio to south Florida in February (1972). I was motivated to get anywhere warmer; I was bumming around in those days, was basically a drifter doing my Bronson thing - did that ride in just under 24 hours. That may have been the last time I ever rode in cold weather, ha-ha! No fairing - just long johns under jeans and gloves and leather jacket.

Now that I'm riding again, if it gets below 60 I'm staying home!
  6. olbill

olbill Active Member

I might if i get a chance.I have a lot on my plate today.Old Vern sure liked my seat set up
  7. FLHTbiker

Now that I'm riding again, if it gets below 60 I'm staying home![/QUOTE]

Back in the mid 80s I remember a Jan 1 when my two brothers and I rode to the beach. Was not bad riding there headin over the coast mountains.
    We had no windshields and on the way back it got dark and cold. We didnt dress warmer in those day, young and tough. Well it got so darn cold we could only ride about 20 miles then stop for coffee someplace. I drank a lot of coffee before I got home that night. After that I didn't ride in that cold of weather again without good riding gear to keep warm in.
    When we were young we were tough at least we thought.:roflmao:
  8. joshbob

Oh, we were definitely tough when we were young - also dumb! What's the saying? Young, dumb and full of come! Ha-ha-ha! Hope you boys didn't hit too many pot holes in the road. I just hit a small one on my first ride and it felt like my spine got compressed.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Heated seat and grips help you too!
  10. FLHTbiker

:roflmao:Harley forgot to connect it up, up inside the seat now they have to order a new one. Can't get into it without tearing the whole seat apart.:rolleyes:
  11. joshbob

I can find something else to do on cold days besides ride!
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

You definitely were a tough guy to ride all those miles on an old Ironhead Sporty! Your new bobber is a hardtail right? Well Josh, I think you still qualify as a "rough rider".
  13. alex the dog

Is that picture of the CVO Ultra your new bike? Not so long ago you were talking about hanging up your leathers. What happened???
  14. FLHTbiker

Hanging up my leathers :eek: you must be thinking of ol cardboard. :roflmao:
  15. alex the dog

No, it was you, after you had to go to the hospital a few months ago. Is that your CVO?
  16. FLHTbiker

Alex it is all mine :D first ride was our Polar Bear ride. The 110 stock has more power than my 103 with the 255 cams installed.
    Doing much better after the back surgery, that was quit the ordeal I went through with it though.

Attached Files:

17. alex the dog

Geez that's a beauty! Very classy paint. Good to see you're looking ahead to a future with many more miles on the road. Do you still have "old Blue"?
  18. FLHTbiker

Old Blue :confused: never had one in blue. Still got the Springer (green and black).
  19. alex the dog

The thumbnail photo you used to have for your signature showed what I thought was a dark blue FLHTCU. Hence, old Blue.
  20. FLHTbiker

Last two FLHTCU bikes were both in Red. Red and Gold and the last was a Red and Murlo. My last bike by the way is still only getting 35 MPG and oil pressure at a constant 60 psi even in 100 deg temps, I think its a lemon, but a pretty bike though.

Attached Files: