1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Polar Bear Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 1, 2013.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Anyone except Florida doing a Polar Bear ride today. It's 26 at my house and a bunch of us are meeting for breakfast then heading over to sign up and ride the annual Polar Bear Ride. :) At least there are no clouds out.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Not me rained all night & just stopped more on the way , enjoy your ride
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Bikes in pieces.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  4. steveb

steveb Active Member

Not happening up in sunny Minnesota it is -10 today.
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

We had a Brass Nut Run but do to snow last night it has been postponed until later, I'm glad, my nuts are not as brasses as they once where.... :roflmao:
    However we are still meeting for Pizza at the destination point of the ride.
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Forgit it !
    Ain't got nothing to prove to NOBODY.

Ain't going on no POlebear ride. I don't like COLD weather.
    I'm hoping for warmer weather and the RAIN to STOP.

The folks here that was askin for some cool weather. Got 26 and 27* and rain for 4 days and wind 35-55 for about 5 days over 2 weeks.
    They are beggin for it to warm back up.
    I voted for them to leave and spend the winter in Northern Alaska.
    Let them have all the cold weather they can stand.
    The last time it got real cold and folks said they wished it would snow. I wished their electricity would go off for 2 months. And they had to go outside and work to earn a living. Then I could hear how much they liked COLD weather.
    I like running around in a pair of blue jeans and a T shirt with my Harley Ball cap on.

I know the bugs will be bad
  7. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Chilli Buns ride was suppose to be today, but 40* and raining hard, postponed until this coming Sunday. Should be sunny and low 40s.... will be just right Cardboard! :cool:
  8. cardboard

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Heck NO.
  9. FLHTbiker

We had a great ride and yep temps were very cold. Rode along one stretch of road that had a lot of frost in the shadows, just stayed in the auto tracks, piece of cake.
    We left about 7:30 AM and just getting light 26 F with a strong east wind, very cold. Lots of riders signing up good day. We even took the wife's 84 year old mother along bundling her up and putting electric gear on her. She said she had a great time and ready to go again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD,

Attached Files:

10. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

Our by-polar Bear ride went fine ,LiL chilly(29) not a cloud in the sky,ya put on heavy gear and have a good ride,a little slick in some spots but all went well. If it ain't raining were riding. That's just what we do
  11. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

84! That's great!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  12. cardboard

When I was younger, I rode in Northern Alabama when a Harley was my own transportation. If it was 16* outside I had to use it to go to work, the bar and the grocery store. When it was over 100* outside I had to ride the bike.
    I got a 11 Harley and a diesel truck. When it gets cold if I want to stay warm I will take the truck. When its nice outside I got everyday all day long to ride.
  13. FLHTbiker

But nobody said you had to ride in the cold. We had fun but it was more than just riding it was also the commrodiery and friendship we all shared today.:)
  14. cardboard

Except for going to Whataburger and eating pancakes and talking to the guys I know there. I sit at home all day. It was cold outside and the wind blowed.
    It misted rain for a while too.
  15. olbill

olbill Active Member

What a way to start the new year riding with FLHT/MAD DOG/LOREN/Pat and her mom it don't git any better even if it's 29 degrees. The sun was out a little slick in the shaded areas but it sharpens up your skills.And the BIG TWINS love that cold going air inside and out.I hope this is what the rest of 2013 is like minus the 29 degrees. A happy new year to all.

OLBill
  16. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

Me and the wife went for a little ride yesterday, just to say we rode on New Years day low 30's. It was 22 when I left for work this morning. I am always riding unless it is raining or snowing.
  17. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I had to take my bike to the dealer for some work (new primary chain and compensator). When he called to tell me it was ready, the temp was 10. Told him I would come pick it up in a few days when the temp got over 30.

After a couple days, the forecast in Colo. Springs was 60 for the high. But I live in the mountains 120 miles away where it's always 30-40 degrees colder. So I packed my heated pants and jacket liners and got a ride to the city. Left the dealership at 1pm and rode home. As I rode west, the temp started diving.......40-30-20-10. In South Park, the temp was 4, and I still had 45 miles to go! My face was seriously frozen, but the rest of me was toasty warm. Riding in the wind at 10 feels like about -50.

Stood in front of the fire at home for 3 hours. Will never do that again.
  18. FLHTbiker

OK, I know the word trailer is a dirty word but sometimes a trailer is a very useful thing to have. Especially in those kind of temps. :D
  19. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Now that is some serious riding in cold... don't think I have that in me.. I just went with CB on that temp...
  20. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Yeah, a trailer would have been good, but don't have one, and finding one would be too much trouble. I can't put a bike in the back of my truck cuz it has a topper.

There are times when you think you can take care of yourself in anything, but there are times when I wished I wasn't so stupid or independent to ask for help.

Just watched a video ( Alone in the Wild) of a guy named Ed Wardle, who wanted to see how long he could survive in the wilderness of the Yukon in the summer. He started out with a canoe, guns, fishing pole, axe, and supplies for an emergency. He was flown in to a gorgeous lake to camp and hunt for his food. But Canada said he couldn't shoot any big game, only small critters like porcupines.

He was doing OK for the first 20 or so days, but couldn't find enough food to keep his weight up. Started losing a lot of weight and all he could think about was food and his family. He was able to catch some fish, but started cracking up with no one to talk to. He lasted 50 days after crying for about 10 days (he really was going insane) and called to have himself air lifted out. Funny thing was, he was able to sustain his body, but he really went nuts right on his camera because he was so lonely.

I think about this sort of thing when I go up to Alaska for a couple months each year, thinking I'm tough enough to deal with anything on my own. But I can go in to town after a few weeks when I get lonely.