1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

poping/backfiring 03' Road-King

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by grower50, Mar 26, 2006.

1. grower50

grower50 New Member

During the winter I purchased a 2003 road-king w/ a stage 1 upgrade with a Hooker exhaust. I have a problem with poping when I back off the gas. Both on the hwy & while coasting to a stop. It's not a true loud backfire, but a loud enough pop where it could be heard from the car following me on the highway....my dealer checked it out, stated that the computer read "nothing wrong"...may just have to live with it...I find this hard to believe...anyone with a suggestion or solution?
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

When a person puts a stage 1 or stage 2 kit along with a after market exhaust they should have the computer re-mapped to adjust for the air/fuel mixture. I believe the dealer when he has re-mapped your computer and says it is right. I have a 2004 Road King classic with the stage 2 kit and V&H 2 into 1 pro pipes installed on the bike. It was re-mapped at the dealer but still has some popping and a bit of backfiring when de-excellerating. This is usually caused by the bike running a bit lean. If you would have had all the work done and did not have the dealership put the bike on the computer I would be a bit worried. If it really worries you, I would take the bike back to the dealership and have them re-map it so it will run more on the rich side. But not to the point where it will start fouling your plugs. Ride Safe, David.
  3. madmike

madmike New Member

I had the same problem with my 05 Road King the re-mapping is more for a change to the air filter than the exhaust. The way I corrected the problem was with a Dynajet Power Commander this allows you to adjust air fuel ratios during acceleration and deceleration. Their are specific maps you can download for different exhaust and air intakes set-ups or you can bring it to a dealer and have a custom map made for your bike. This is better than a stage 1 map because that map is generic for any air intake or exhaust.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  4. grower50

grower50 New Member

thanks for the info guys...at least now I know it's not just my bike...sounds like a common situation...now to decide on the next step...thanks agian
  5. kgc

kgc New Member

grower50,

I'm with madmike on this; I own a '03 FLHRCI with the Power Commander. I’ve been very happy with the bike's performance since I installed it.

kgc
  6. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

carb or fuel injection same problem on BOTH

I've done my own work on HD's for several years. owned several bikes......most all require TINKERING or CHANGING with the IDLE JET size & MAIN JET or easy fix on fuel injection models with a power commander. My 97 dina EVO hicked and poped right from the factory WAY TOO lean. I got it in oct. of that year and took a break-in ride out around the COOL coast here in wash.... I got GREAT mileage.... 50+ mpg.... but a little twist on the gas got a hic-up every time.... I changed the size of the idle mixture jet (larger) removed the no tamper plug so I could fine tune the IDLE SCREW and also went to a larger main jet by .005 and my lean mixture was solved and good performance acheived...46/47 mpg ....here are some LISTEN to problems::: hic-up poping upon start out = too lean idle mix...(cv idle jets are sized @.002 up or down)(size of jet stamped on sloted head of jet).. poping or back fire when letting off at highway speed usually means Lean mixture on the High side (main jet) .005 larger jet will usually cure. (HD cv main jets are sized .005 larger or smaller) ...... checking the COLOR of the spark plugs tips (after a days run) and note exhaust pipe tips and color of pipe as it exits heads, will give you a very easy answer to the too lean or too rich problem.... spark plugs should look OFF white ; a light grey to a little brownish tinge... never PURE white as out of box = way too lean... nor BLACK sooty way too RICH...The exhaust needs to be a LIGHT GREY BLACK at the exposed ends of pipe.. and a light amount of blueing of the single wall pipe at the heads is normal... very blue for a long distance down pipe means HOT (lean) mixture...there are a lot more involved ways to tell rich or lean but usually these few sugested sounds and colors will help the NON mechanic diagnose his/HER own problem.......... for me cv JETING is simple on carbs.... but the commander is all i know on injecter electronics..... so I'll stick to the carb. older bikes with the easy fool-proof system I'm comfortable with.... signed REDHEAD