1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Popping thru carb

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fiddyfofoad, Nov 4, 2007.

1. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Hello all, I'm new to this site, this is my first post. I have an old iron head sportster with a 38mm mikuni. My bike was running good up until 2 weeks ago. When first started it will only run with the choke on, then as it warms up the choke can be released, but then it will pop or puff intermittently thru the carb. As the engine gets hotter, it pops less and less. I've played with the low speed air/fuel mixture screw, adjusted the valves, changed the condensor, re-adjusted the points, tightened all of the intake clamps and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Could the coil be bad, it's about 15 years old. but I don't want to spend $50.-$70. and still have it popping. The spark at the points is very faint. Thanks, Fiddyfofoad
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Sounds like you already know the problem... Now all ya gotta do is fix it...:)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

from your description, it sounds like weak fire.....the spark should be bright and crisp at both the points and plugs. check all conntections associated with the coil....check the 2 push on connectors at the coil. if all seems good, bite the bullet....:)
  4. whacker

whacker Active Member

I have a accel power pulse coil,I'll give you a good deal on,I just took it off when I got my electronic ignition.I have a 75 sportster.....
  5. whacker

whacker Active Member

you might want to check your mechanical advance,I had one come apart on me,and had to push my bike 3 miles.
  6. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. All of the coil connections are tight, I guess I'll get a new coil and try that. The carb was disassembled and cleaned last spring so I don't think a fuel problem would pop up out of the blue. A 15 year old coil on the other hand... Thanks Fiddyfofoad
  7. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Well,well,well... what popped out of the blue? It was a fuel problem. Before springing for a new coil I figured what do I have to lose? Took the carb off and removed the bowl. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap clustered around the main jet. Disassembled it, cleaned and blew it out, runs like it used to. I wonder if the screen on the petcock came off?
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad you found the problem. it is not a hard job to drain the tank,pull the petcock and check the screen. if it is plugged clean it as you need a good flow to the carb. if it is gone, add an inline...clear if you can get one....and you should be good to go!!!:)
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If it's gone....

where'd it go???? :roflmao:

Replace the old HD one with a Pingle, eliminates the vac line, yep schmutz in the carb will fubar the ride.