1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Potential interest

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I found this, it is a UK magazine, also on-line and with an international version

American-V: Independent • In Depth • On-Line

It covers stuff in the USA and Canada and UK / Europe. The latest issue covers riding in serious cold, in Canada, in January. Harleys on the ice road of the McKenzie river and the arctic ocean. -35 celcius cold. They had some technical difficulties..... Engine oil froze for a start. Some very impressive photos of riding on ice but not something I would want to do.
  2. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Cool....nice link Ashley:D I think at -35 celcius just about anything would freeze:eek:
  3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yeh, including me. The idea of riding a bike on a frozen ocean does not appeal at all. -35 celcius is not my idea of fun.
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I thnk that kind of travel is left to the Ice Road Truckers:cool:
  5. Panthera

Panthera New Member

My personal limit is about 45F ( 7C). Anything colder and I will drive. I have been out in colder, but to be bundled up for it takes away a lot of the control, thick gloves make it hard to use the brake and clutch, heavy boots make it harder to shift.

A while back we had the second coldest winter on record in WI, and the morning temperatures would be at -45F (-49C) some mornings. I had to take a pan of coals from the wood stove and place them under the vehicles to get them started (and praying for no fuel leaks), and I had an old jeep pickup, still carbureted, that I needed to take the wife's harir dryer to warm it up enough to start. I could not imagine trying to get a Harley to start and run right at those temps. Even at the cooler temps I mentioned above, it spits a little sometimes even after it has warmed up.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

oil circulation is also a problem at those temps.............as stated!!!!:)