1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Powder coating

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by viking, Oct 7, 2011.

1. viking

viking New Member

Can any one tell me what kind of preperation I need to do to get a frame powder coated.I have a chance to get the frame done for the project I am doing for very little cost to me and do not know anything about it.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I know chucktx does powder coating he should be able to tell you
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the folks doing the work should be able to handle the prep. if they want you to handle it, you need to get to bare metal, no grease, water, fingerprints, ect. it should be wiped down just prior to the coating to remove any and all residue of foreign particles...any threaded holes that you will use again need to be plugged. there are special plugs and tape for handling this process......then let the application begin!!!!!! when ya get it back, be sure to remove the coating from the ground strap attaching spot and where the engine/transmission mount........
  4. viking

viking New Member

Some one is going to slip it through where they work for me it will cost me a case of beer and the paint but I have to have it ready.I don't think I have to do the final wash but all the holes have to be plugged ect.ect.
  5. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Get it sandblasted (use a little paint stripper on the VIN stamp and cover it with heavy-duty cloth backed duct tape first), make sure there's no grease in the steering neck or swing arm mounts (it will melt and run out when they cure the powder), mark the areas on the lower motor mounts where the engine & tranny bolt down, and where the ground cable goes (the shop will have special high-temp masking tape to cover those areas), they should have silicone plugs for the threaded holes - or else you can just screw bolts into them. They'll probably pre-treat the frame with a cleaner & a conversion coating (most places use some type of iron phosphate, we use zirconium-based stuff). And like chucktx said, wipe it down with M.E.K. just to be sure you got all the oil off.
    That's all the basics I can think of right now. Let us know how it comes out... and post pictures!
  6. viking

viking New Member

Thanks everyone I am not there yet just trying to think ahead of what I have to do.I will post pics when ready.
  7. chucktx

i dont believe the duct tape will hold up during the heat process............
  8. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Sorry... The duct tape is just to protect the VIN during sandblasting, you take it off and clean up the sticky residue before you powdercoat the frame.
  9. chucktx

yup.........but they do have a special heat tape that works great, along with different sized plugs........cool sig!!
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

hard part is going to be getting it cleaned and stripped.

Check around town for someone that can sand blast it or will
    rent you time on a cabinet to hit the frame, like was said, plug
    holes and tape the vin or you'll have a mess.

You could strip it by hand but that's a ton of chemicals mess
    and time and you'll have cost in the chemicals or sanding pads
    etc and it will take forever..
  11. chucktx

harbor freight has blasters at different prices. even the smaller ones will work, given some time. i have a few blasters, from a very small one that is the size of an airbrush, bigger one that is the size of a production spray gun, a cabinet type from snap on and a big ol' pressure pot that holds about 150 lbs of sand. like i said the small one about the size of a spray gun will work....you have to fill it often, but it will get the job done.