1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Powder coating

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by chucktx, May 4, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have been thinking of getting into powder coating. ordered the gear and gave it a go today. sandblasted a battery box and coated it.......came out great!!!!
    think im gonna have fun with this......:)

Attached Files:

2. Ted

Ted New Member

Chuck

What do you use to bake your work. and what temperature works best.
    I thought it to be interesting also.

Ole Ted
  3. chucktx

i have an old oven, and set it at 450*........

Attached Files:

4. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Hey Chuck,
    Pretty cool huh. I got one of those kits from Eastwood Co. and have done small parts and fasteners. Like everything else I found the the prep work makes all the difference. I found the plans for a home made powder coat oven and if the url turns out check this oven. I'd like to build one but first I have to make room in my shop somehow. You can never build to big of a shop only to small of one.
    Home
    AL
  5. chucktx

thanks for the link al.......i know what ya mean by too small....i have a little one, 2300 sq ft with 14' walls....wish i would have made it bigger!!!!!!:)

Attached Files:

6. Ted

Ted New Member

Oven

Well Chucktx That looks like the way to start. I never thought the temperature was that high. But I guess that is why it stays on. Thanks for the info.
    I thought my shop was a good size 24 x 40 with a 12 x 10 door I put a 10 x10 room in a corner with a over head bed and a air conditioner were an old guy can take a break. When your welding in Florida it gets Hot.

Ultra Al Good job. A fella should be able to make it pay for it self In the winter when things get slow. Also it will heat the shop.

Later Ole Ted.
  7. chucktx

i am gathering the parts for the oven. i like the trolly idea!!!! should be able to do frames and wheels in a couple of weeks.........also got a book that shows/tells how to do multi colors also. like ribbed valve covers with 2 different colors..........:)
  8. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

As cheap as that one goes together it would pay for itself with only a couple of jobs. Hey Chuck have you seen an Eastwood catalog lately? I remember when powder coating first came out you had a choice of CAT yellow or flat black. Now you can get candy colors, shade shift colors, chromes, metalics, you name it. I did a lot of the fasteners on the Fat boy and other miscellanious small parts in anodize blue, most of it over chrome or polished aluminum and it came out killer bee. Your gonna have fun with this. AL
  9. chucktx

ya, i remember back when it first hit their catalog.....when ya did the chrome and polished parts you still blasted them correct?? to give them tooth.....:)
  10. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

They were small parts. I just used red scotch brite. I did a set of lifter blocks that came out less than spectacular but they had so many casting marks on them they were impossible to polish. I suppose I could have used a dermil tool. Still they were a big improvement form what I started with. What kind of bead blaster do you have? All I have is a pressure pot and it seems like I spend as much time unpluging it as using it and thats with the air going through Devilbiss filtering system. My local Harbor Freight has their biggest blaster (3ft by 2ft I believe) on sale right now for 199.00, 100 bucks of the usual price. I don't know about the quality though. I was also looking at this unit The Barrel Blaster
    I would have to pay shipping unless I drove to Lake Buchannan which with the price of gas might be more than shipping. Anybody know about the quality of the HF unit? I only have about a week to make up my mind.
    BTW keep us posted on your construction progress. AL
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Chuck did you get you start up kit from harbor or eastwood? I was looking at the kit from harbor to start with , it's a little cheeper in price , & A oven like you have to start with , still setting the shop up 20X40 , already have the smaller blaster & some work benches & a parts clearner
  12. chucktx

that barrel blaster is pretty cool!!!!! i bet it would be easy to build one!!!!
    i have looked at the harborfreight ones and they looked to be of fair quality.
    i have a 120lb pot blaster for frames,trailers, ect....have to do that outside with a hood. i also have an extra large blaster from snapon...it needs new gloves, but does a great job, it has two blowers on it to keep the dust down, it blowes the dust into a couple of big canvas bags attached to the back. i have a hand held pot blaster that resembles a paint gun, the media is held in the canister. i have an air eraser from pasche. thanks for the tip on the chrome stuff, will make one step a bit easier!!!!!!!:)
  13. chucktx

i got the one from eastwood.....when ya add all the stuff ya need to start up with, they end up about the same price.........but hf's powder is cheaper. i will try one of their powders to compare before is use a lot of it. the stuff from eastwood is quality!!!! i have bought from them many times. i once bought a panel roller from them, and a few months or maybe even a year later i broke it.....called them and they sent a new one right out!!!!!!!! another good customer service story!!!!!!!:)
  14. chucktx

i just checked and the big pot blaster i have is the one advertised on "master blaster" site.......150lb capacity..........it works great!!!! hope that helps a bit!!.............:)
  15. chucktx

al, sorry to keep draging this out, but, what i like about the barrel blaster is the availabity of parts.....harbor freight does not stock parts for there blasters. i was looking for a new set of gloves for mine, they couldnt even order any..............:)
  16. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I saw that too but Ill bet you can the parts are pretty universal. I DID make room in my shop. I need to call BB and get actual shipping charges. The HF on is selling 100 bucks off the usual price of 299. I actually like the barrel blaster better, probably 100 bucks better Im just afraid to ask about shipping. .
    Hey are you going to use a small brake and do your own bending. My local sheet metal shop bends pretty cheap and you would get fewer pieces plus probably less waste and then there is time element, just a thought. AL
  17. chucktx

i will probably do my own bending....i have a pretty stout work table on wheels. i will use a heavy piece of angle and some c/clamps. it has worked in the past, but the parts were smaller. if this is too big i will build a brake....i live too far out in the woods to run to a "shop"........:)
  18. Blackmouth

Blackmouth New Member

Powder coating, huh?

That's is pretty sweet Chuck.
    Powder coating is something I'd like to start doing myself some day.
    For now...I'll just add that to my wish-list of skills...darn list is getting long!

What's your next powder coating project now that you got your feet wet?
  19. chucktx

im not sure....i have some friends that have some stuff lined up for me tho...........i will post when i get some more done...........:)
  20. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

a toaster oven works good for small parts.