1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Powdercoating Rims - machined surfaces sandblasted

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Oliwally, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Oliwally

Oliwally New Member

Hi all,

I'm having my Bandit 1250 rims sandblasted and powder coated (old finish was not in good condition).

The powder coater I found recommended a sandblasting business and they did the job for me. Despite specifically asking him not to blast any of the machined surfaces, he only taped up the bearing cavities, but sandblasted the surface against which the brake discs are mounted (arghhhh!). I asked him what happened and he said that this is the way they usually do it and that I won't have any trouble with it.

So my question to the brains-trust is this: will it give me any trouble?

The powder coater is not quite finished with them yet. They confirmed that it should not have been blasted and that they could put the base coat onto these surfaces to 'even them out'. But I told them not to. I don't want any chance of any uneven build-up of any kind of finish.

I can't imagine that the blasting would have removed significant amounts of metal.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem.

Thanks for your help,

Oli
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

If they used sand to blast with it could have removed metal. More common now is "Media" blasting where instead of sand they may use walnut shells or some other less aggressive media that won't damage metal.