1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Power commander

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Apr 20, 2006.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I put A PC on my o3 Flh Electra Glide & had it all set up by A HD dealer, dyno & all looks real good ,BUT my gas millage went way down , from 48mpg to about 33 mpg , is this normal ? I also have the samsons ovel slip on & SE breather kit , all was on my scotter when set up :confused:
    thanks to all who answer
    cowboy
    Alvin TX
  2. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

Cowboy, welcome to the forum. I have a 2004 Road Glide, with the breather kit, V&H dual ovals, and the stage one download from Harley. It runs great, very pleased with the performance from what little has been done. I'm averaging 46 MPG, and the worst I've gotten is 42. I run it pretty hard, the 42 was loaded up with tourpack, all luggage, bag on the luggage rack, wife with me, and running 85 on the interstate making time on a 85 deg day. I'd say the setting is off. I can't imagine your bike getting that low without it being a 103 CI.

Then again, I don't have them for the milage, it's just icing on the cake.
  3. kamakazi

kamakazi New Member

I agree, that sounds too low and the difference is too far apart. You also have to understand that our bikes come from the manufacturer tuned to the lean side in order to pass. I would hook it up to the computer, copy your current map set-up and compare it to the "free" map site on commader with the map that is closest to what you've got on your bike. If the numbers don't jive, (they don't have to match exactly in each block, but close) it was mapped incorrectly and you are running rich.
  4. rose_guy

rose_guy New Member

low milage

I have an '04 fatboy with a similar setup. I'm running in the mid 30's for milage after the dyno. I ran about 40 mpg before the dyno with a default map. Personally, with an air-cooled engine, I prefer running rich than lean. I do ride it like I stole it so that might be a bit of the reason for lower mpgs
  5. cowboy

Thanks to all for the idea's , A few weeks ago , 4 of us took a small road trip (100miles) , I got 125 miles to the tank , thats about 25 mpg , was running around 85, just me (175 lbs) , I called the HD shop who put it on & they said to bring it for free( Stubb's HD Houston Tx ) I used to run my Shovel a little rich but that made it run better , I don't know that much about these new fathead 88's with efi , I do enjoy the extra power the PC has given it :)
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I Get About 100 Miles To A Tank Up Hill On My 03 Xlc. Stock Tank, Free Flow Air Cleaner And Drag Pipes. Stubbs, Nice Shop, Got My First Harley There.
  7. roadrnnr

roadrnnr New Member

I put on the V&H Big Shot Staggered, SE Air Cleaner with K&N Filter and the PC with the Map from the web site for my set up. Runs great and my mileage is about the same. About 40MPG.

Guess I will rethink getting it dyno'd if my mileage is gonna drop that much!

Oh Yeah Bike is a 2002 FLSTC
  8. grower50

grower50 New Member

I just took my '03 RK in to install the Power Comander...Have the stage 1 breather w/ Hooker True Two exhausts...had a real problem w/ poping & backfire...dealer says this is the only real solution. They don't have a dyno....so we'll see where this get's me
  9. cowboy

I have the backfiring as well , & my Dealer has a dyno , But I did call them & they said to bring it in & they will reset free to me , at least that's whats they said over the phone @ Stubb's in Houston TX :confused: