1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

power commnder as 1st modification

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by GreyBear, May 19, 2006.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Howdy, I was talking with somone today and an interesting topic (at least to me) came up. We were talking engine modifications etc and one fella said he didn't want to do ANYTHING just keep it stone stock. So Yankee Bob, who's a pretty good wrench told him that even if you were going to do that you still needed to install a Power Commander since that would help even a stock bike run more efficently. Since I am new to all this using a pc for a tune up stuff I just listened and wondered.....and rushed back to ask here, cause as always I figure I'll get the straight scoop. So what about it CD and the rest of you was Yankee Bob blowing smoke or giving sage advise?

Ride Free............
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you are talking about a new harley, yes it will help. the engines are on the lean side from the factory. if the power commander will adjust the timing and add a bit more fuel...if injected..the bike will run more efficient. it wont scream....just be a bit more efficient.
    chuck
  3. scooter

scooter New Member

I would have to agree. I know from firsthand (wrench?) experience that they ARE indeed set a tad LEAN from the factory. Sheesh.

So, anything to help that poor beast get more gas is a GOOD thing in my book!!!

:cool: scoot
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I doubt it's going to do a ton, if you get the new USB it can override the rev limiters so he'll get more RPM room.

As far as running better maybe maybe not, you'd still need to dyno it to tune it in otherwise how would you know it did anything at all?

BTW i'm not saying it wont help and it probably won't hurt but it will lighten his wallet
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

im from way back old school....no puters or fuel inj. we used to tune pretty good with the seat of our pants and checking plugs, checking exhaust.......IF a guy put a commander on his bike, and all else was stock, using a laptop to adjust at least the timing, would make the bike run better, and adjusting the fuel to the inj. would help also. it would be a time consuming process.....seat of the pants.....but it could be done. a dyno will get you results in real time........now with this said, the "tuner" would have to know what he was doing, if not, have it done professionaly.........or just leave it stock and ride on!!!!! stock aint bad....have fun. i also agree with HRK....it will lighten the wallet.......for the return
    chuck
  6. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Thanks ya'all

Well it sees that once again a case where my instincts were true and so was what Yankee Bob said. Seems to me that ANYTHING that lets the engine work more efficently would be a good thing. I know all the emission BS now but given a choice I would always prefer running a tad rich to a tad lean and in my experience so does crucial metal parts inside the engine. Although for someone that is going to do nothing else the cost it probably gonna be the deciding factor.
    Chuck I agree with you on the old school method of tuning. To me even if you are going to take it to a dyno you still need to start somewhere, then fine tune it using the bells and whistles. And since I have seen so many folks that didn't really know half what they think they know, I would be more concerned with the rep and credentials of the dyno tech than anything else. Fancy state of the art equipment is pretty useless in the hands of a chimp. I like my new dyna glide....but it will never have the character of my shovel. One is sort of like the models that are so perfect...as perfect as the nip and tuck guys and 20 lbs of silicone can make them. The other has some flaws and sags......but she's 100% real woman.
    At any rate, thanks for the info.
    Ride Free........