1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

PowerCommader vs race turner for 06 street bob

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by vdf3, Feb 13, 2009.

1. vdf3

vdf3 New Member

I just purchased an 06 street bob with S.E. mufflers and stage 1 filter, and the thing pops on decel. Everything I read says to lean. I am guessing whomever had the bike before me did not do download. The closest Dyno is 2 hours away. I want to know which programmer I should start with. I plan on doing future mods for torque but not sure I want to pay 800 for thundermax, also do not like idea of not using O2 sensors.

I plan on buying different pipes right away. First mod because SE mufflers are wimpy sounding.

I have a Harley dealer in town just no dyno I also have an Indy whom I want to use and they recomend the powercommader but no dyno either.

I want a scalded dog out the gate, with out rebuilding the motor the first year I bought the bike.

Open the gates on advice.:banghead:
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

My understanding of the Power Commander is you can get the settings for the unit based on how your bike is equipped. You look for your pipes, air filter, cam, etc and they will give you a map for your system. It most likely won't be perfect but you can find tune it with a laptop pc. The SERT, which is what I have, pretty much has to be set up on the dyno. I have not heard of any canned maps for the SERT. If I had it to do over, I probably would go with the Power Commander. Good luck.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

another thing to check is muffler clamps....use harley clamps and torque to specs. a leaking head pipe will also cause pop on decel....make sure the gasket is good and then torque to specs............let us know....
  4. vdf3

vdf3 New Member

I just found some black sut on the factory head pipe where the bottom SE muffler is clamped on. I am going to check clamps and tighten and hope for less popping. Now just need to get some throttle response.
  5. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

vdf3,
    I've used a PCIII on my '07 FLHTI w/thunderheader exhaust & Big-sucker air cleaner.I installed the PCIII with Dynojet's recommended down load for these components & road it with no complaints.
    (JMO):The Powercommander is great in a sense that it does not "alter" &/or reprogram the stock E.C.U.
    Also;component changes down the road allow you to change the required map via Dynojet's web site.***note:these maps are designed to make the bike run but fine tuning & true performance can only be perfected on the dyno.:rant:
    I did eventually have my bike dyno tuned after I replaced my cams & was amazed how much better & responsive the throttle felt.
    When using a PCIII system in your bike, you will be running in a "open-loop" type system meaning your o2 sensors will not be used.This is not a big deal to me,maybe it is to some.
    (JMO):D,I like the PCIII because I know I can disconnect with no alterations to my stock ECU.I hope this helps you a little,00 wildglide:cool:
  6. vdf3

vdf3 New Member

I still do not understand why the power commander requires you to remove the o2 sensors. I think I am leaning towards the thundermax auto tuner because it uses the o2 sensors and talks about gas mileage improvements also not just power.

I really do not want to not use something on the bike already.

Any ideas why the power commander requires the 2006 dynas to use 02 sensor eliminators, but not the 2007 or any of the touring models.
  7. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

vdf3,
    the power commander "piggybacks" the the stock ecu & performs commands via the canned program which was down loaded from the web site.
    The o2 sensors are for a feed-back input as are the ones in your automobile.
    The T-Max system is great from what I've seen but,very exspensive.
    00 wildglide
  8. vdf3

vdf3 New Member

Anyone have experience with the daytona twin tec? It sounds a lot like the thundermax, but they (daytona) make it sound more complicated than the thundermax.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have the DTT setup for tuning the SERT or Powercommander

Each unit is only as good as the tune

Both have maps,

The SERT has maps for HD combinations

Such as 96 cui, SE204 cams, high flow filter, SE exhaust

You might have to change maps to get it work well with the setup you select from aftermarket parts, without a tune

Same for the powercommander, even though you can download a "map" that is very close or dead on the description of your changes it doesn't mean your bike will like it.

The Daytona twin tech plugs into the bike harness and replaces the 02 sensors with wide band sensors, you go for a ride, accumulate ride data, and then back to the garage, down load the data to your PC from the twin scan and it will tell you what you need to change.

It works with power commanders and SERT.

The advantage to the SERT and this is JMO, is that you don't have any added hardware on the bike, just access to the ECM programability and that's good.

It takes work to do it right and time, you won't simply ride around the block once and have a perfect map, but you can get it really really close,

Other than that a Dyno is the only way to get either one right.
  10. vdf3

vdf3 New Member

Thanks to all of you, for your help. It is still confusing, I like the power commander and thundermax simply because some possibility of MY working on my own bike. Do not like serp simply because I can not work on my own bike and dynos are far away and expensive.

I guess this is what I get for being blessed with fuel inj. and computer control.
  11. hotroadking

you can work on your bike with the SERT, at least the verisons we're running,

Load the DC in the laptop, install software, hook up cables to bike with the dongle (it's the key that allows the software to work) and you can change cells for fuel, VE and iginition timing. Just like the Powercommander.
  12. vdf3

vdf3 New Member

you can work on your bike with the SERT, at least the verisons we're running,

Load the DC in the laptop, install software, hook up cables to bike with the dongle (it's the key that allows the software to work) and you can change cells for fuel, VE and iginition timing. Just like the Powercommander.

hotroadking, thanks. Can you explain some of these things? This is the first I have heard about non Harley techs using the sert.

This could change some things.
    So when you buy the sert what actually comes with it. The dealer just said it comes with the plug and that was all that was said.

Thanks again for the new info.
  13. hotroadking

The Original SERT came with a CD and the box/plug/dongle or Key code box.

You load the software on your PC, and you'll need a couple of cables, one you get from HD to connect to the bike. One cable is Serial to serial 9 pin port that goes from PC to Dongle Key box from HD, the other is serial to HD connector, that one you have to get from HD.

Load software, hook up cables key box etc, the connection is the port under the side panel on a FL. Turn on bike, and ignition and you'll hook right up.

Then you can up and down load HD maps to the ECM of the bike.

The trick is you need to set the VE (Volumetric Efficiency of the cyl) this is done with the Twin Scan from DTT

You hook it up to the bikes switched power, swap the o2 sensors out, plug in the WEGO IId or III3 whichever unit you have. This reads the data and stores it, go for a ride, like normal, record the data and come back

hook the bike up and download the data from the twin scan unit that is hooked into the bikes ECM

So you have the WEGO and Twin Scan doing the data recovery, then the software will give you a grid, exactly like the PC or SERT grid and tell you what cells are lean or rich in VE.

You change the VE cells and keep testing until it's as good as you can get it.

Then you work on AFR setting it for each cell at each RPM and throttle position.

It's not as difficult as it seems, just time consuming and you need to pay attention to what you do.

Helps if you have two pc's there one hooked up to SERT and the other to Twin Scan from DTT so you can look back and forth at the cells vs toggling back and forth.
  14. 05glide

05glide New Member

Power commander or Race Turner ** My 07 Ultra had the power commander with a stage 1, Vance Hines true duels and ovals. I too had popping on decel. Not bad but it was there. It started getting worse after 25,000 miles my H-D dealer recomended replaceing the commander. I swapped it out with a race tuner. I love the race tuner. Better responce, no more popping and even improved my gas millage. I'm no where close to haveing the skills some of these other folks posting have. But I know my bike performance is much better with the tuner then the power commander. I now have 35,000 miles on it and it is running great. ;)
  15. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

Even when I had Sert, & dynoed my 2" Rush still popped on decell, It ended up that the wrench didnt put clamps on in right place, They were so far up the muffler that only 1/2 of clamp was on the muffler the rest of it past the end of it.
    The 4 slots in the muffler (input) where the clamps goes leaked because the muffler didnt slip far enough on to the head pipe to prevent gap in slots.
    If you look into the muffler to head pipe connection and see daylight you definitely have a leak as mine did...
    Dealership had to replace and reposition the clamps and then redyno.. then they stopped 95% of it...
  16. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The thundermax will replace yer stock computer and comes with Wide Band oxygen sensors. If you buy a sert and have it dynoed yer close to the price of the thundermax. Now make a change and have yer bike redynoed and now you passed the price of the sert.
    I Put one on a 07 Street Bob and a 07 Wide glide I had. Both bikes ran great.
    Put one on a buddy's 07 Deuce and he really liked the unit. some of the problems he had that the dealer hadn't fixed when he took it to them was gone.
    According to the setup you have you might git some decmil poppin, Check yer plugs. The Thundermax can tune some of this out.
    I had decmil poppin on a my new stock 08 electra glide.
    The Thundermax comes with a 3 yr warranty.
    I've been waitin since oct of 08 when the 08 bikes came out. I got a 08 electra glide with the Throttle by wire. Zippers still hasn't released the unit.
    I called Jamie with Fuel moto Usa and ordered a Power Commander V and the auto tune module. Jamie is retro fittin the units to bikes before 09.

Gonna put my 103 build I've got sittin on the shelf together and see how the PCV does on the bike.
    WAs hopin somebody else had tried it.:gah:
  17. reginasaskatchewancanada

reginasaskatchewancanada New Member

from my experience popping on decel is mostly caused by fresh air getting into the exhaust from either leakes or in some bikes they have systems to add fresh air to the exhaust causing for unburned fuel being able to ignite from the heat
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Need to git a torque wrench and check all the clamps on the pipes and check the bolts on the header pipes and spray some startin fluid around on stuff when its runnin to see if its suckin air.
    Even the intake.