1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Primary case bearing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by GreyBear, Jun 28, 2008.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Howdy,
    Just did a quick (one week) 2700 miler from here in NC to Baton Rouge, then up to Hot Springs AR, over to Texarkana, TX, back to Little Rock AR, down to Monroe LA, on to Slidell LA, then back vis way of Hattiesburg and Meridian MS. No real purpose just a week to kill and some folks I hadnt seen in a while. SO now the Dyna has 28K on her and.....the freaking primary case bearing has started raising hell again. It did this last summer at about 15K and they replaced it. So what is the deal ? I have run aluminum primaries with said bearing in them since I got my '66 shovel back in '68. My evo, an 86 had 78K on her when I sold her and the bearing never was an issue. In fact I can't recall ever hearing of anyone having a problem with that bearing.
    Anybody out there got any ideas/answers? I have the extended warranty so the cost isn't a major factor but doing this every 13 - 15K is both a pain in the butt and seems to me like there is something else going on here. If not then every time I put new rubber on her I will figure on doing the bearing as well.
    Just so you know: 2006 FXDI stage one with K&N filter, Python pipes, and Vance and Hines fuel pak.
    Thans for any help.
    Ride As Free as $4.00+ gas allows
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

One problem with BT's is the left-side final drive & the separate transmission unit. Lots of torque can pull the primary chain, clutchpack & trans. out of alignment & that's why racers use a right-side final drive, outboard trans. shaft support bearing & a bracket to keep the trans. from moving. Of course we Sportster folks don't have that problem, as the trans. is in the engine cases & the final drive is on the right side. ;)

I'd bet your bearing problems are due to flex in the drive system & if you'll get a support bracket to keep the transmission from moving, that will probably solve the problem. Baker 6-speed trans. with right-side final drive would be pretty cool, but also VERY expensive & as long as the primary & final drives are lined up properly & won't move, you should be fine. Check that primary chain tension often too.
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Thanks

Thanks Art, dropped her at the shop today and, since its a recurring problem they will as Rob said "delve a bit deeper" into what might be causing the situation. The tranny support bracket is a good idea and I will add one, can't hurt and if it cures the problem well worth it.
    Ride Free
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

on my 06 the engine and trans are as one....hardbolted together....no seperation as in the pans and shovels.....i would tend to believe the problem with the bearing is the bearing itself.....make sure that a quallity bearing made in the usa is being used. i have thrown thousands of chinese bearing in the trash. quality control is non existent. replaced with usa and no more problems with noise............or shortllives,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)
  5. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Damn GreyBear, that's quite a little hop in one week! Hell, I'm lucky I get 300 miles away and back. Good luck with your search for the cause of your bike's problem.
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Chuck makes an excellent point & you can almost always find the proper bearing @ a place like Bearings, Inc., just by giving them the part # stamped on the bearing. Give you an example:

I heard a wheel bearing "sing" on the left front of my Dodge 4x4 pickup & called the nearby dealer to see what inner & outer bearings would cost. Oh - can't buy those - that 4x4 hub assembly is a sealed unit & you have to buy the whole thing - for $850. Yeah - I might have been born @ night, but it wasn't last night.

If you can bolt it together you can take it apart, I did & called a Co. in the Yellow Pages like Bearings, Inc. Gave the parts guy the numbers stamped on the bearings & he said yep, we've got those - $13 for the inner & $15 for the outer - would you like me to put those in a box with your name on it? Yes sir, I'll be down there in an hour or so.

American-made bearings & back when I drove a semi I used to haul loads of 'em. We've "outsourced" a lot of work, but you can still get American-made bearings. Just need the number stamped on the bearing & you may need a magnifying glass to see it.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

06 Trans and motor are bolted together, not like early shovel and evos where you needed a right side bracket to keep high tq motors from shifting.

Sounds like an improperly installed bearing or bad bearing, not all that common but it happens.

If you have a lot of power in a hopped up motor one thing that can happen (maybe even on a stock motor that's ridden a lot or hard or both) is the mainshaft race can walk.

HD's design for this bearing is a pressed on inner race on the mainshaft and the bearing is popped into the inner cover that is the other half, so basically when you assemble the inner primary with bearing to the motor/trans you're kind of building a bearing on the shaft.

I replaced mine by taking off the inner race, and putting in a Zippers High Tq bearing, which is a sealed type bearing, eliminates the inner race, eliminates the walk potential (in or out is not good)

So it might be a good idea if you think that's part of it to change over to a zippers high tq bearing.
  8. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Up Date

Well the putts out of the shop and running ok, at least for now. When I went to pick her up Rob, my service manager gave me some interesting news. Seems they replaced the bearing one day and lo and behold the next day they get a notice from the factory that that bearing is being replaced with another. Which is unfortunately on back order, estimated shipment date in September. So I could either leave the bike there until the new bearing came in and have it replaced under the warranty or take it and take my chances. So not willing to be bikeless for the rest of the summer I took her. At least the next time it goes out they will have the new bearing. Since it was a "replacement" rather than a recall....there is no obligation to replace the old bearings with the new ones. Good from a healthy bottom line position but sucks for me....
    Anyway, back on the road in time for the 4th. Happy Birthday America!
    Ride Free