1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Primary Chain Adjustment

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 19, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey, I need to adjust my primary chain. I just hate the book that I have. If I am not mistaken, I need to remove the inspection cover, which is offset center, two allans, then on the bottom, there is just a regular hex, which I am assuming that that is my drain plug, the in front of it, there is another hex on a threaded bolt, with an allan in it, which I am assuming is my adjustment? Now I need to adjust this when it is cold right, and I should not have more than 3/8" deflection from the bottom of the chain? Correct? 96 Sportster.

Thank You for the help.
  2. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Sounds like you got it down. My 04 sportster is pretty much the same setup. As I understand it you can check hot or cold but there are different deflection numbers to use if hot or cold. I just checked mine and the numbers called out were 3/8 to 1/2 deflection while cold and 1/4 to 3/8 while hot.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yeah those are the numbers that I got too. Just a question, have you noticed that the inspection cover does not fit the same all the way around?
  4. JohnnyBiker

OK, I had a chance to take my inspection cover off and took a look at my chain. I thought that the chain was ok, really didn't need any adjustment, maybe just a smidge. I got everything back together. I decided that I wanted a second opinion and took it to the indy shop that is three blocks away. they looked at it and said that it as good.

Here is the question. If my primary chain is ok, than what the hell is that rattling that am hearing at about 40 mph and up? The noise sounds like those road gremlin bells that a person would put on their bike. Any ideas?
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

just start at the front & work your way to the rear of the bike & double check to see what might be loose , fender bolt exhaust bolt/clamp ect
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Have you checked the cam chain tensioner's ?
  7. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

When I finally had this done to my Street Bob, it solved my dilemma of why I wasn't getting a smooth take off at slow speeds. More important than it seemed. Good luck.
  8. JohnnyBiker

No, but that is the next place that I am going to look.
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

No cam tensioners in Sporties... 4 single lobe cams,still gear drive...pretty much bullet proof on that side
    I'd go along with cowboy, something loose...fender bolt ,heat shield...etc.
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Heat shield clamps when loose sound like the chains fallin apart- I've got one on the front shield that drivin me nuts - guess what's gonna get changed at the next maintainace interval?
    Hope ya git er tracked down - them noises can drive ya to drinking - Oh wait thats what there supposed to do. Any excuse is a good excuse!!:roflmao:
  11. JohnnyBiker

No heat shields on my pipes. This is kind of driving me wacky, but I am patient for the most part.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I changed the primary oil for my bike and I must say that it was nasty black. That cannot be a good thing at all. I made it a point to observe the plug when I drained it and there was some metal that adhered to it. I think that I am going to monitor this a little closer from now on.

I still think that my chain is a little loose. I stopped in that indy shop today to ask about my other problem that I am having, and I told him that I still think that the chain is loose. He did not like that at all.
  13. Devolution

Devolution New Member

I know that when my primary needed to be adjusted on my 95 RoadKing finding neutral was difficult. I swapped out the tensioner to a new hydrolic and never had another problem. it was a bit noisier when the bike was cold though.
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

So, check the adjustment if there is one on a Sportster and adjust it.

The 09 Ultra has the self adjusting one and I hate the clanging noise it makes. My older Springer with the adjustable style makes no noise.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I think that I am going to because that chain has more than a 1/4" play in it. :(
  16. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member