1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Primary fluid change?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I'm finally getting stuff back together. New tin set all installed, bodyshop guy put on tank emblems, new seat, LED taillamp went on, and I upgraded the handgrips from the neat looking H-D chrome with rubber inserts to some nice foam H-D ones as they feel more comfortable.
    Changing the engine oil at home so I don't get wallet raped too bad when the tires get installed in a couple weeks. Should I change the primary fluid also? It was done last year, and only has 1800-2000miles on it. Should it be changed with every oil change? Went with H-D 20w50 and an H-D black filter for the engine oil.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I usually change mine at every other oil change. But I'm using a Synthetic oil in all three of my bikes Primary.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

No reason to do the tranny or primary with every change
  4. FLHTbiker

I change engine oil once every 4,000 miles because of synthetic oil. So I change my primary oil at 8000 miles. Tranny about every 16,000 miles.
  5. hotroadking

Isn't hd's new spec 5 k on oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. FLHTbiker

So and your car is more than that but most everyone changes there engine oil at 3,000 thanks to Jiffy Lube
  7. hotroadking

Yeah they used to tell me that the machine couldn't print a 5k range on the change so I'd just hand write with a sharpie the mileage, I guess there are a lot of people that just don't pay attention.

Some new cars are 10K or more, the new syn oil is so much better you can run a long time. Mercedes and many high end cars have oil life sensors that tell you when to change the oil there's no set mileage...

the spec on the new twin cam is 5K on the engine, they changed the primary and trans interval as well. I do both at every 10K change plus the oil.
  8. Roadster guy

Thanks for the info. Mine being a Sportster, the trans and engine are the same fluid, with the primary seperate I guess. Loosened the small worm clamp and pulled the plug, about 3 litres slowly came out the hose under the motor, the oil tank level fell. When the drippies stopped, put the plug in, tightened the clamp, added a wee bit more than 3 litres to the oil tank. Removed the filter, added a bit of oil to the new filter, screwed new one in place and started it up. Shut it down after a few secs, let it sit on its side stand, and checked the oil level on the oil tank dipstick. It was at 1/3 to 1/2 on the stick. Seems OK?
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The primary and tranny share the same oil on Sporties,HD doesn't sell the Sport Trans fluid anymore,a 75-90 gear oil with the LSD(Limited Slip Differential) additive pak is what you need...Not Timothy Leary's LSD pak lol...or Harley's Formula+
    3 litres seems like a lot to only have it show 1/3-1/2 on dipstick...Check to see if oil level check should be with the bike straight up and not on side stand...my '91 Sportie & Softail only take 3 quarts(946mls=1qt) and oil level is checked with the bikes upright
    I change my primary oil every 2nd change and tranny oil every 2 yrs...even at 2 yrs the tranny oil comes out almost as clean as it went in...
  10. Roadster guy

Thanks for the info. I'll recheck the oil level when I get home, I seem to recall in 04 with the rubber mounted engine the Sportster went to oil level checked on the sidestand, but I may be wrong. So the engine has its own oil and the trans and primary are lubed together?, guess I was off on that one. Well, never know until you ask! Nice thing about this forum over Youtube.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It was a good idea to change checking the oil level while on side stand instead of upright...makes it a lot easier...

Found this info on XL Forums,your service manual & owners manual may have incorrect info....
    2004-2007 Sportster Oil Capacity

Service literature for 2004-2007 XL models incorrectly lists oil capacity as 3.6 quarts (3.4 liters).

The correct amount listed should be 2.8 quarts (2.65 liters).

Oil capacities listed are approximately the amount required to bring the fluid level near the full mark on the dipstick. Refer to the applicable service manual for the complete oil change procedure.

Service Note:
    Be aware that the dipstick has a Full mark to indicate the highest level of oil that should be installed in a hot engine and an Add mark to indicate the lowest level of oil in a cold engine. The engine is designed to operate correctly with the oil level in the range between these two marks. While it is most important to not overfill the system, it is acceptable to operate the motorcycle with the oil level anywhere in the range between the Full and Add marks.
  12. Roadster guy

Thanks for the updated info. ended up at about 3l installed, then drained a wee bit to get the air out of the drain line as several places mentioned this as a good idea. Guy at the dealer also said a bit over three litres, but my bill for oil change last year only shows charge for 3 litres.
    I assume with too much it will puke out the PCV system and either stain the motor as it spills out or get burned in the combustion chambers.
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I tend to change primary fluid on my Sportster about twice a season. Last season I changed Ged it once and that was at the end of the riding season as I didn't put a lot of mikes on it. This year I am riding the Sportster way more so it will see at least one more change.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  14. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

The Harley manual tells Iron-head owners that when the Harly transmission fluid isn't available one can use 20-50 oil. That is the same grade I use in the engine. I use Castrol GTX 20-50.