1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Primary Inspection Cover

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 2, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I did a dipshiit thing. I didn't want to go warm up the Sporty cause it is really hot and humid. So instead, I just started draining fluids. I went to loosen the inspection cover, broke one my allen sockets and that screw will not budge.

Obviously, since I already drained the primary, I can't start it to get it warm, can get a torch and heat it? How about the the rubber o-rings that are on both the screw and the one that goes around the inside of the cover? Will I melt them? :banghead: I guess I will never do that again. :rant::rant:
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Use a hand held impact driver on the rest of them with the proper size allen head. You may have to drill the head off the striped out one then an easy out or reversed drill bit. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341253697.296016.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. JohnnyBiker

The allen came out, I just need to get the screw loose. I didn't strip the screw.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

If just the primary you should be able to start it long enough to run & heat it up get screws loose
  5. JohnnyBiker

Yep. Now I have to go back to the friggen dealership because I forgot to get what I needed last night while. I was at the meeting. :what:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

It's always somethin', ain't it ? Well, be patient. Best to find something that fits the screw head PERFECTLY. I'd have a replacement screw on hand and install it when you put it back together, just in case you bung it all up getting it out.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would buy all new screws and use a little bit of blue locktite on em, not Red.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Patience isn't the issue, not having what I need is the issue. I have what it is that I need now. :D Weird thing is that there is was no loctite used on those screws.:confused: I cannot understand why that happened, but it did. Oh well, shiit happens..!! I went back at it to see if it would come loose and then I finally did strip it. Then I went at it with a "screw out." That went no where. Now I have to take the primary cover off and back it (screw) out from the inside.:banghead: No worries. Easy fix.
  9. joshbob

Good luck. Just remember, it's the "easy fixes" that sometimes give us the biggest headaches. LOL!
  10. JohnnyBiker

LOL. No kidding huh. Now that have the Road Glide fixed itvis time to fix that. Should only take about an hour. :D

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  11. N2Hunting

N2Hunting New Member

You know how everytime it's time to use the LocTite the bottle is ether empty or dried up (Murphy at work again). Try hijacking some of mama's finger nail polish and using it. It hold as strong as Blue LocTite. But not recommended for areas needing Red. I have used it for years when in a pinch and it has done the job. It breaks free just as easy as Blue too
  12. JohnnyBiker

Nah, I just put it back on again without loctite. Thanks for the tip though.
  13. joshbob

That's a good tip about fingernail polish. I have also used other stuff when out of locktite, like shellac, and acrylic varnish which I normally use to seal my paintings. You only need a drop. They all work good.

I use locktite on ALL the fasteners on my scoot.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao:Red locktite was invented for Shovels;):roflmao:
  15. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

can you apply it to your teeth for a ride . nothin runs like a shovel ! boy i love them but dont miss riding one !:roflmao: ol josh bob is a trooper owns a shovel and it a rigid . thats one biker i have respect for !:cool:
  16. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep,same here...a home made rigid shovel:cool:....if you don't respect a guy for doing that,you ain't a biker:cheers::chopper: