1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

primary

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Davis, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Davis

Davis New Member

how do you know when primary is full and what oil do you use
  2. Davis

Davis New Member

please help
  3. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

You need to give just a bit more info. What style of bike, what year, what make of bike? Ride Safe David.
  4. Davis

Davis New Member

2k fatboy twin
  5. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

Your bike will take 32oz. of primary fluid. The Harley Davidson dealership has the oil that you need. It sells for about $6.69 +tax a quart, the part number for the primary oil is 99887-84. You should always check the primary fluid level when the bike is standing straight up and not leaning on the jiffy stand. Be sure to stand straight up for about 1 minute to equlize the oil in the primary compartment before you look for the right level. Also be sure to ride the bike for a bit to get the oil to thin out which will make it drain better. The proper level will be just at the bottom of the chaincase and must not be any higher than the diaphram spring. But if you put in the 32 oz. and don't have any leaks you'll be good till the next service time. If you over fill the primary case with oil it will cause rough clutch engagement, you'll have incomplete disengagement, & clutch drag, and finding nuetral at idle speed. The drain plug torque will be 36-60 INCH POUNDS. And the cover screws will be torqued at 84-108 INCH POUNDS. Always use a new gasket behind the cover and clean all debri and oil from groove where o-ring will be placed. One last thing.....Ride Safe David.
  6. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

The cheapest tool in your tool box is the service manual for your motorcycle where this question is answered along with just about any other question if you are willing to read. The manual will also give you the right answer to your questions.
  7. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

VYBR8R is very correct when he says that an original Harley Davidson service manual will pay for itself. Alot of people buy a new Harley and say "what can I buy first to customize my bike". The best bang for the buck would have to be the service manual. Here in Rock Springs Wyoming a 10,000 mile service runs around $480.00. I have owned Harleys and other bikes for 20 years and I'm only 37. And I have never let the dealership do any service work on my bikes unless they were under warrenty, (excluding routine oil servicing). I have done all the oil changes, Trans oil changes, primary oil changes, etc. A routine 5,000 mile service will cost me for all the oils, filters, gaskets, etc, around $25.00 dollars. Once a person has the service manual, a decent set of tools and alittle time and want, you can follow the book word for word and do atleast the oil changes and filters, chain adjustements, etc, this alone will pay for the book in the first scheduled oil servicing. Even when the bike is under warrenty most people feel that if they change there own oil that it will void out the warrenty. I know for a fact you will find it written no where, anywhere stating it will void out the warrenty. If the dealership mentions this, have them show you on paper, they won't be able to produce it. If you decide to do your own service work be sure to keep the reciepts for the oil, filter, gaskets, etc, and then staple those reciepts to the page that you are doing the service work for, (1,000 mile, 5,000 miles, 10,000 miles etc.) And then date and sign the page, this way if you ever sell the bike there are the reciepts to prove the bike was serviced. What I'm saying is I hate to see my fellow bikers take it in the shorts for bike servicing at there local Harley shop. Keep in mind that is why there are places like here to come to get answeres. Hats off to CD for this great site. Ride Safe David.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

All good comments, the SM is the best investment you'll make if you plan on doing these things yourself, and IMHO a good investment if you don't you should know what goes where, how tight it should be and how to adjust it.

The SM has lots of information that a novice should read and try and understand at least you'd be better armed at the dealer if they tell you your wahtzit is fritzed and you'll also need a doomahatchi for $500.

Wait that's italian parts sorry LOL

Oil to the bottom of the clutch pack when the bike is level.