1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Problem With My Bike Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gumby321, Sep 11, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    I pull up to my destination and start to back into my spot and wham. The bike shuts off. No nothing, it won't start or turn over. I have lights and all but nothing. Then I turn my key switch on and off a few times. Then she will crank and start. I have put a badland kit on my bike for all my lights. I took off the ground strap on one side. So i thought maybe it wasen't making a good contact. This all started after I installed the badland kit. Anyone have any ideas? Please if so let me know. Thanks to you all. Gumby321 peace
  2. dutch

dutch New Member

Gumby you don't say what year bike you have but one thing that requires cycling the ignition to restart is the bank angle sensor, so if your bike has one it could be the problem. Dutch
  3. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Sorry Dutch

I have a 1991 FXR P
  4. dutch

dutch New Member

Great bike I have a soft spot for police bikes, I have a 90 flhtp bought new. It is on hold right now waiting for a rebuild, but never let me down. As far as your bike stop backing it up just kidding. The only thing I've had happen that is like your problem was in the wiring going to the headlight and turning the bars to the stops pulled the wire open to the kill switch. Dutch
  5. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Great One Dutch

As you know the FXR.P has about 30 miles of wire for the radio,cig lighter, lights, siren and so on. I guess you know where I tucked all those extra wires now. I have yet to go through those because of fear and fear alone. I don't want to open a can of literal worms. One day I will have to get rid of them though. Thanks for the info. This site has got to be the best there is out there. I have seen others and tried them. None copare to this one with ease of use and the people. I think that has to do with the big man who watches over it. Cudos to him. My bike is in the shop now also. I had to give in and bring it to boulders choppers here in henderson. The owner is an x H.A and knows F.X.R's like there is no tomorrow. I have to say I love the guy. He has a heart of gold now and it sure wasen't like that a few years ago.
    He really found his way in life and nothing seems to bother him. He has like a glow about him now. You can't understand unless you are a friend of Bill W.
    Thanks so much for your imput. I will take a look under there when I get the bike back. He is setting up the new Mikuni I installed. Seems to be running rich but very strong. Thanks again. Gumby 321 Peace
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I doubt that a badlanders would kill the bike, it may be just one of those things that happens at the same time.

Had a bike we built up with cams, heads pipes, and afterwards it wouldn't run right, like the cam was timed wrong, went though the cam chest, looked correct, everything was lined up.

Finally pulled plugs, the rear cyl coil wasn't firing, then the front quit while testing. Seems the coil gave up at the exact time, whoda thunk it.

Back to you, main breaker should be fine if you have power, sometimes they will get weak and wear out, plus you can get them at the Autozone for 1/4 the cost of HD. FYI

I would suspect the ignition or harness going to the ignition, it's possible putting in the badlanders you pulled or chaffed a wire.

If you have a meter you can test circuits easy, having the Service Manual is golden especially when these things happen.
  7. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

I Do Have 2 Manuals And Thanks For The Input

I Now Have More Problems Then It Cutting Out. I Am Smoking Like A Banshee. Something New Now, Either My Valves Or Rings I Am Guessing. Things Always Happen At The Wrong Time For Me. It's Bike Week Up Here And I Will Have A Smoking Bike All Weekend. If I Even Go. I Might Just Start The Tear Down And See What Is Up. Thanks Again, Gumby321 Peace
  8. CD

CD Guest

If you're going to tear it down, freshen up the top end. Check valve guide free play, change seals if possible clean up the bore and use some .005 rings or if you to go .010 over or what ever is needed to clean up any scratches. While you are in there have the shop square up the cylinder bases and when you reassemble use the Hayden Oil fix kit.
    https://www.directparts.com/static/articles/harleyoilfix.html

If you do it right, you won't have to worry about base gasket leaks again.

Between the fresh rings, nice three angle valve job....slip a cam in...:D

Don't forgot, smoking causes lung cancer so quit. :rolleyes:
  9. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thanks Cd

I am so bummed that this has happened. Between my El Camino and my bike I don't know which to fix first. I do know what I want to fix first, the toy.
    I'd rather be riding then driving.
    I think I am going to deal with the smoking this weekend for atleast one night. Then I will start tearing it down. Then doing what you said.
    Thanks for the info. I hope that all goes as planned. Thanks Gumby321 PEACE
  10. gator

gator New Member

Carolina, "The Olde North State" "I ride with Fo
    What did you find Gumby?
  11. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

I Found It----i Found It

As some may know I have an FXR P. So with the P comes with about 30 miles of extra wire for all the electronics the cops have on their bikes. When I came to my destination and would back up the bike would cut out. Well there was a little white wire being pinched everytime I turned my bars. So I still have those wires there. I don't want to open another can of worms right now.
    I just mad them a bit neater under my headlight. Did some nice wire tightening and whalah. All fixed. So one down about 8 to go, Thats problems I am talking about. When all is said and done. She will be all caught up to my standards. Then maybe, just maybe Sturges here I come. Until then no long trips for me until she is 110%. gumby321 peace
  12. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Gator

I will let you know in a few hours . My bud will be here soon. We will be going through the bike. Then I will post reults what I think the problem is. I will write down all info on the compresson test and let it be known. Keep your finger crossed for something cheap. Thats all I am asking for. Gumby 321 Peace