1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Problems Discovered and Conquered

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 6, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I have been on the phone almost solid for 2 days talking with HD and 2 different indy shops. 1 indy shop that is helping me get the right parts set up, the second is the place where I am going to have the work done because indy shop 1 is like 3 states to the east of me, also verifying what indy shop 1 is telling me.

Today I have been on the phone talking to HD trying to get the cc size of my stock 883 head. I found out that the stock cc is 49. When I was told this I could not believe it. No wonder why my bike does not have any power and gets such crappy gas mileage.

Does 49 cc sound about right???
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very possible....your whole total cc is only 883........that is 441+/- per cylinder.......including the head space. take 49 away from that and it leaves about 390 per cylinder piston area........no i didnt have a calculator.......lol
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

4. JohnnyBiker

I have considered these, but I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of boring the case. Not only that i have been in touch with some people that know these guys and they were saying that they are having some small issues with the cylinder lining. Just what I was told, but enough to keep me away for now. Thanks for the info though.

P.S. I LOVE THAT AVITAR!:roflmao:
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You don't need the cases bored...even their 1250cc kit doesn't need case boring...you already have your jugs bored out to 1200cc's,so you'd just need them honed and pistons fitted and your heads worked or swap them out for Buell heads and pistons.
    Prolly the Nik-a-Sil liners they're having problems with(brings back memories of the Chevy Vega:rolleyes::gah:)
  6. JohnnyBiker

Yes, now that you mention the nik-a-sil that is what I had heard. Just that alone is enough for me to say no. When I looked at their site, it does say that you do not need to, but from what I am being told, there are still some clearance issues so there is some that needs to be done.