1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Problems with Bike?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 4, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have found this bike that I really like a lot. What I like about is very simple. Because it is simple. The bike that I am referring to is a 1984 Shovelhead. The bike, for its age is fair condition. I found this bike when I was at my buddy's shop going through my carb. It was having the kicker worked on.

Here is a brief breakdown of what I noticed.

The front has been racked a little.
    It has bee lowered.
    Single seat on it.
    White walls.
    Did not have the hard bags on it.
    80 CI
    No Floorboards.
    Cain
    No other leaks noticed.
    Not sure on the miles.
    I believe it is what we would call an Electra Glide Standard today.
    Also has Electric Start.
    No pics yet.

I guess I am wondering mainly what kind of problems are common with the shovel head and that year of bike for that matter? I will get pictures of this bike and post them once I find out if the guy is willing to part with it or not. I am asking these questions now because I want to begin with my research to help me decide if I want to pursue this bike or not.

Any help would be awesome.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it will be easier to answer questions with pics.............shovelheads are good engines! and they can make good dependable rides.......i have owned a bunch of them......
  3. JohnnyBiker

In your post you said they can be dependable rides. So what are the major issues with the engine alone. I will get pictures for you tomorrow.
  4. chucktx

mostly oil leaks
  5. JohnnyBiker

So are these leaks from design flaws or are they mainly caused by not enough torque on the fasteners? I haver ridden a shovel, but I have heard that they are notorious for a lot of vibration?
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

the 84 was the last year for the shovel in most models & some 84's had the new evo , as for oil leaks yes they have there share , ,But if put back together right & time taken to realy do it right , you'll have no leaks , also the 4 spd trans where bad for speed/fast shifting & bending shifter forks in the trans mostly going into second ,& yes I would own another one rode one for about 20 years or so , as for the rake ,was it a frame rake or just the tripple trees ? & how much of a rake ? A lot of riders back then did frame rakes & got to far out there & bike was had to handle
    Most of the oile leaks where at the push rod tubes & primer cover ,I always used the corke gaskets for the p tubes & let them soak in oil over night , made a good seal that way , primer cover I always took my time when replaceing the gasket , soft alum & scraper don't mix they gouge the surface & instant leak ,
  7. chucktx

the reason for the shake is because the engine/trans are solid mounted to the frame......chicks dig it!!!!!!
  8. JohnnyBiker

I am not sure if it is a frame rake or at the triple tree. I will find out. Ok as for the 4 speed, is there a way that I can upgrade this to a 5? What would allowing the gaskets to absorb oil over night do? Is this to basically to assist in a tighter seal??
  9. chucktx

yes you can go to a 5 speed. soaking cork overnight lets it soak up the oil and become more pliable, less prone to cracking or breaking
  10. JohnnyBiker

I would assume then that putting a five speed in is no more involved than what it would be for any other bike???
  11. JohnnyBiker

Ok, here are the pictures of the bike that i am interested in. These wee taken with my phone so if they are a little small, I apologize.

Attached Files:

12. JohnnyBiker

Here are a few more.

Attached Files:

13. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Go fer it Johnny! - Shovelheads are a good engine and several manf. can hook you up with a 5 speed upgrade - Baker for one and I know there are others also. - Had one of them critters for years and wouldn't think twice about getting another one if the price was right.
    As for the oil leaks - what chuck said is gospel but taking the time to "DO IT RIGHT" will solve the problem. - I rebuilt mine the first year I had it and had no trouble with leaks for the whole time I owned it; the guy I sold it to rode it for 7 years with no major problems until a cager did him in and totaled the bike.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Cool!! Here is a little more information about the bike and the mechanics and geometry of it. This is a frame rake, plus the frame was lengthened, engine lowered. One thing that was pointed out that was a little concerning, but not that big of a deal was that master cylinder for the rear brakes was leaking and made out plastic, and am pretty sure that it was relocated. Pretty sure that it is not in the stock location. As of now, it would be a pain in the rear to get at the tranny fill spot because of this.

Now here is the MILLION dollar question. How much would you pay for something like this?
  15. chucktx

16. JohnnyBiker

OK? I am now wondering why you would pay that much for it? Is it because the bike is worth that or because it is older and harder to come by and it may be a must have for you?
  17. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

why is in the shop? it look's like someone has spent a lot of money on chrome & other goodies , you can look on C list & compair prices & looks ,There's a few on the Houston Tx C list around 6k & up , just look with in a hundred miles or so of you & see whats what in you area , or look even farthere , but start in your neck of the woods first within a few hundred miles , you might save a few bucks even after the trip
  18. JohnnyBiker

The bike was in the shop to get the kicker fixed. The gears that have to mesh together needed some work.

That is a good idea, I will have to go onto clist and do a little searching.
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

So what are they asking for it
  20. JohnnyBiker

I do not have that information at this time. I am not sure if the owner wants to sell it. I am gathering information so if he does call, I will have a good idea of what to look out for. Price, common problems with the bike and engine ect.