1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Progressive Monotube

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Apr 11, 2013.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about getting a set for the King....Keep hearing the same thing your buddy said...big improvement over stock...
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I can't vouch for the "monotube" But I can for Progressive Suspension. I had modified a couple of my Japanese bikes over the years for both two-up riding and performance, high-speed handling. The progressive shocks and springs were first rate in those applications.

BTW, that Install video on their website sucks.
  4. jrmac53

jrmac53 New Member

Any input on the Progressive 422' with RAP would be great. Some say that the HD spring on the rap system is to harsh for a bike with out the added weight of extra personal or baggage? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  5. cardboard

My buddy down the street did them about 7 months ago.
    Another friend in Dallas did them like 2 yrs go

Both like the Monotubes
  6. jrmac53

jrmac53 New Member

Thanks for the response. And they did the RAP control 422's? I am going with the monotubes.
  7. cardboard

Oh I forgot. Another buddy 3 months ago.

I helped my buddy down the street do his bike and he did another dudes bike.
    He has all the tools.
    Makes the font end ride much stronger,
    Forgot which progressive rear shocks he used
    Call progressive and talk with them.
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't see a need for them. 'Happy puttin around as is. On my Geezer Glide.
  9. tinsnips

tinsnips Active Member

whATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MONOTUBES AND THE SPRINGS FOR THE FRONT
  10. cardboard

11. m1a5h50

m1a5h50 Active Member

yes i did. recently. installed r had dealer install them on 12 103 bagger. world of diff i can ride the **** outta it. stiffer yes but smooths out the bumps big time. lil more pressure needed when cornering. solid feel also on the hiway where the 2 pavement type meet no no movement and cann't tell when changing lanes. stoppin u can panic stop it and it won't move a quarter of an inch. well worth the bucks i believe. since the new frame change ( had 02 95 ci bagger b4) u can also ride it like a sports bike after the shock change. also installed r had the dealer install the progressive stabilizer. that is also worth the buck. the bike doesn't bend or move stays in line all the time. it mite not be cheap,less the a grand installed, but but it made much stiffer and smoother. cann't weight to load it up for a trip n c.
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Cardboard, I installed the Progressive monotube in front forks about a year ago--BIG IMPROVEMENT. Better handling, no dive, better ride especially over big bumps.

Did install myself. After all the fairing removed (rather difficult), the sliders come out easy and new assy. goes in easy. Fairing re-install is hard.

Replaced the o.e. air shocks a while back with the new Progressive 422's. Also a big improvement in every way. Very easy to install these. Bike feels way better than when it was new.
  13. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Oh, I forgot. Harley buys front and rear shocks from Showa in Japan. These are quality units, but not the best. Forks are dual-tube hydraulic, rears are simple air-over-hydraulic shocks.

Progressive uses high pressure gas-over-hydraulic in both front and rear shocks. Temperature and load never affects the shocks ride or control.
  14. cardboard

Don't know if you read it. But my buddy bought all the tools and I have been there with him when he has done several bikes..

Give me a week or o to sleep and I will forgit how we did it.:rolleyes:

But if I want to do it I can ask and get help from him..
    I helped him do Woods cams in his bike like3 weeks ago.
    It was his 1st cam install.
    He bought the tools and we did inner cam bearings, woods directional lifters, and Zippers dual piston tensioners .
    Put a new map in his Thunder-Max and it runs great in his SE SG .