1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Progressive Suspension

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Studds, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Studds

Studds Active Member

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2003 Electra Glide Classic with 2551 miles on it. I've been told that by using the Progressive Suspension system ( 31-2501 front and 940-4020 rear ) to lower it would also make a world of difference in the over-all handling of the bike. Does anyone have any experience with the product and know how difficult it is to install. I was also told that it would eliminate the need for fork oil ? Any information would be greatly appreciated before I invest that kind of money.

Thank You !
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Be careful a friend of mine lowered his 06 Ultra and when he took it out and hit his first bump the rear tire ripped out the wiring that is routed along the inside of the rear fender.
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Don't slam it more than 1 1/2" or you will bottom out every time you hit a bump especially if you are haulin a passenger.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got my bike lowered a inch.

And have a buddy who lives in Wimberly that put the progressive suspension on like his 03 bike and he swears it tool all the motor shake out and made the curves a lot better handling.......
  5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

What's your buddy smoking? Send me up some o that.
  6. cardboard

Tellin you like it is man....
  7. Tomflhrci98

Like everyone said, be very careful about how much you lower it and keep the the front and the back the same. If you accidentally lower the front more than the back you will cause instability issues.

You are actually better off lowering the back and leaving the stock height in the front.

The progressive front spring kit I got for my 98 may be very similar to the 03. It's just new springs that are shorter than stock and a spacer that is actually a short PVC pipe. The spacer is what you cut to fit - a certain length to keep the stock height and then trim it to lower it. So it is kind of easy to go back and trim it at any time. (you can only add some if you go to the lawn sprinkler section at Home Depot and buy another piece of PVC :D).

I did not read that it eliminates the need for oil. I don't think it does, remember, the spring is for suspension and the oil is for dampening the spring.

I like the ride of the new springs - less rebound, better in corners, nice ride, but some bigger bumps are harsher. Nothing is perfect.

I read that the oil in the springs can get very hot during long rides. It gets hot cause it is doing its job of dampening. This heat will break down the oil properties. That's why it is good to change the oil at the prescribed intervals.

Good luck,
  8. Tomflhrci98

I know.. I got friends like that too. Everything is better in their world.

My world must just suck :rolleyes:
  9. cardboard

10. Tomflhrci98

I got the 12.5 inch progressives and I like them a lot but when the ol'lady is on the back we will bottom out once in a while. I weigh 205 with clothes on an she prolly weighs 125 with clothes on.

I don't remember what the stock height is.

I liked the HD lowered air shock but it costs a hundred more than the progressives. I don't remember what the height of these are either.
  11. cardboard

Hot Bike Bikers Mag had a issue on lowering a bike.

HD Custom Specifications - Hot Bike Baggers Magazine

The lowering kit was by Bikers delite.
    It went on the bottom of yer shocks and bolted to yer swingarm.
    I like it.
    The progressive link I posted is like what is on the 09 and newer bikes under the tranny to stabilize the bike.
    It is a great unit.
    I only weight 190 and the OL weights 135.
    I got about 25 lbs in my air shocks.

When I talked to somebody at Progressive they told me not to buy lower shocks to lower my bike........
  12. Tomflhrci98

You don't have any options with a Road King Classic. You have to buy lowered rear shocks because the leather bags are molded around the shock so those kits they sell like WhiteBrothers and such that reposition the shock interfere with the bags and the bags won't fit back on. I know one guy that was able to get his Classic bags back on but it was such a tight fit he wore a hole in the bags and ripped the rubber off the stock HD shocks. I tried it the same way but I couldn't even get close to getting the bags back on.
  13. cardboard

Nothin beats ABS plastic saddlebags............:cussing:
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'm running the profile suspension on my 04 E-G and from what I gather it's the same length shock that is used on the street glide. I'm running 25 -30 lbs two up. I weigh 165 and I'm not going to say what my wife weighs...A gentleman never tells. On hard bumps at speed we'll bottom out but for the most part it's fine. There's more of a clearance issue between metal and pavement on corners than the bumpy stuff. Front end is stock height.
  15. Tomflhrci98

What I found when mine bottoms out, the tire hits the two seat bolts that come through the fender from the top. I took some time and shaved down the bolts so that they are flush with the nut on the inside. It gave me another quarter inch or so and I made sure there where no sharp edges. I don't even see a mark on the tire after I bottom out it just sounds and feels weird when it happens.
  16. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'm not contacting the tire. I have a short bolt for the back end of the seat but the shocks are bottoming out at times.