1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Project for when you can't sleep

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by MSHax, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MSHax

MSHax New Member

Although this is a "project" it's not motorcycle related so this seems like the only place it might fit.
    A little back story; I average about 3-4 hours of sleep per night for the last 25+ years. When hearing that, people usually ask "what do you do when you can't sleep?", well...hear it is. I get into crazy projects because my garage is pretty much sound proof. I decided to re-upholster my office chair. I was going to put my company logo on my seat since I love my job, but since my boys argued with me that spongebob would be better, we compromised with a Harley Logo. So I got out the embroidery machine and created my seat. Here's the steps in case you can't sleep.

Step 1: Have a chair. For this I'm using my ergo "knee" chair.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Embroider a logo of your choice, like I said, I wanted my company logo, my boys wanted me to put spongebob, we compromised with a Harley logo.
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Remove the old covering.
    [​IMG]

Step 4: If you're like me and using vinyl to replace cloth, then you'll need to drill some holes so that the air can escape.
    [​IMG]

Step 5: Apply your new foam. A little spray glue and a razor makes for a pretty new padding.
    [​IMG]
    Ok I lied about the "pretty" part, but it's on there :p

Step 6: Let's wrap. A heat gun makes a nice clean corner. Make sure not to use too much heat or else you'll remove the grain and make the vinyl look like crap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 7: Clean up the remaining vinyl left on the back so that it's a cleaner look.
    [​IMG]

Step 8: Let's reapply the factory cover to give it that "OEM" look.
    [​IMG]

Step 9: Now that the back is on and the front is on, let's put it back on the frame and test sit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There you go, in about 45 minutes you have a new seat with a cool new logo.
  2. popeye

popeye Active Member

Nice, clean job.
  3. MSHax

MSHax New Member

Thank you, on that note, if I would have thought ahead a clean surface (not a garbage can) might have helped with clean up. The logo got dirty so I'll wash it when I wake up. Yeah...technically "sleeping" now.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great job!!!! how about putting it in the project section????
  5. MSHax

MSHax New Member

That seemed like the motorcycle projects section.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep good job there , but still a project :D, & a plus with the bar & shield :cool:
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Very nice work, what other stuff do you construct.

There is a projects section on Bike Talk
  8. MSHax

MSHax New Member

I like working with my hands, I'm not a great welder, but an excellent grinder. I'm not flawless at fiberglass, but an amazing sander. I love wood working so I've built a lot of things like fireplace mantles, entertainment centers, etc.. In my past life I did massive $100,000+ stereo systems in vehicles for shows; those required lots of fiberglassing, welding, electrical, and a BUTT load of wood working. But I got sick of annoying people, now I just annoy people on a lower level with the massive system on my Honda Shagger. :p

My most recent build was a 50cc Aprilia engine modded to fit a custom modified Honda Helix frame into a stand up scooter. It was STUPID fast (54 pulling 300lbs), it had custom made fiberglass body panels and even a stereo with iPhone controls. I have a mess of pics of it, I'll find them and post them to my host site and post one here. it was a FUN toy, no license required, and so fun to ride.
  9. MSHax

MSHax New Member

I found a whole bunch of pictures so I figured I'd through it in a projects thread instead