1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Proper jetting for altitude/stage 1 kit

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rkortan, Nov 27, 2007.

1. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I'm new to this site and have been looking for some information regarding what changes I should make to the stage 1 jetting if I live at 5000 feet and ride mostly at 5k and above. Occasionally I will make a trip to SF and be at sea level but only a few times a year.
    I purchased the stage 1 kit from Ken and its great. I'm doing the final tuning now and need to know what difference the altitude makes. Still have a slight cough sometimes off idle.
    thanks...........Bob
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the cv carb should work just fine at 5k....and higher. i am sure there is a limit to altitude tho, i am not sure what that is. the cv will adjust for most altitude changes. the slight pop you are experiencing is lean pop,,,,adjust the air screw a bit( the one that you pulled the plug out to get to)...:)
  3. rkortan

rkortan New Member

proper jetting for altitude/stage 1

Thanks. I also found the hole in the slide is drilled out to 1/8. I know the kit said anything over 7/64 can cause problems. Should I put in a new slide?
    Thanks,Bob
  4. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

The hole in slide is a bit excessive for normal street riding. The slide will pull much quicker, but it will also tend to flutter at mid throttle cruizing speeds when the vacuum isn't strong or reacting to change. If you aren't experiencing problems I'd leave it alone.
  5. rkortan

rkortan New Member

proper jetting for altitude/stage 1kit

The only time I seem to get any flutter is during the first mile or so before the motor is warm. I put in the #46 idle jet and it was not big enough. I need a #48 but don't have one yet so right now there is a #50 idle jet in that I am using for tuning. As soon as I get the chance I will try to finish the final tuning..........Thx...........Bob
    By the way my bike has an SE air cleaner, Thunderheaders, an SE203 cam and a 7800 rpm ignition module.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

A #50 pilot jet is probably too big for your bike at that altitude. I'd try adjusting the mixture screw out another 1/8th turn with the smaller jet. Send me an email and I'll get you a 48 pilot jet.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

rkortan - At altitude, especially when it is hot, you also need to make sure you get the best air volume in that you can. Our thin air has about 10 percent oxygen, so whatever air cleaner you have needs to be a high flow for best performance.
  8. rkortan

rkortan New Member

proper jetting for altitude/stage 1

I went to Carson City HD got the# 48 idle jet and installed it. I warmed the bike and adjusted the idle. Man it sounds good. It's too cold to go for much of a ride but as soon as we get a sunny 45 degree day I'll test it for any more coughing or flat spots. While I had the float bowl off I checked the accelerator pump and all is good.
    My air cleaner is a S/E high flow that I've had on the bike since new. I think I have covered all the bases, now I just need to ride it and see. Thanks for all the help. I'll let everyone know my results...............Bob
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds like your good to go.....hope ya get some riding weather soon!!