1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Prospecting with An MC

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 28, 2018.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It has been a long time coming and I finally made the decision to Prospect with an MC. I have to say that this is something that I am going to enjoy very much if I make it, but I am very confident that I will. I spent this Memorial Weekend with them and I instantly found that there are a lot of people in this MC that I know which makes it way easier to be comfortable around. Not sure what else to say. Thanks for reading.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

A local club of riders or one of the big MC clubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Wild Hogs ! L.O.L.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. JohnnyBiker

It is an actual MC and it is not one of the 1% clubs. The Club is called the Dry Riders.
  5. hotroadking

Sounds interesting, down here there's a bunch of clubs the 1% of course and many others, some are just riding social clubs grouped together, buddy formed one, made up patches etc he and his buddies were riding around and got questioned by the 1% groups, seems he forgot to follow protocol and go to the club council in the state to get approval for his group. Not a good idea LOL
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Gotta wonder about bikers setting up councils and dress codes and riding etiquette and by-laws and such. As every law or rule is an abridgement of freedom, I'll just keep holding on to all the freedom I can. I'm all for the biker code, though - but my brother don't get to dress me.

I have a hard enough time following traffic laws, so adding more rules to my riding ain't happening - but good luck to you, JB (and any other MC riders), and I hope it is all you want and more. I'll add that I love to see masses of bikes riding together - I just don't want to be in the pack. OK, maybe the short, little Toy Run - but that is it.
  7. hotroadking

Red, I think it (the council) was put together so that all clubs
    know about all clubs, not really an "approval" process but I'm
    not involved. Got the impression it was more about the big
    boys knowing who was playing in the backyard who's a threat etc.

We have had problems with groups who show up at bike nights
    wearing colors and of course theres always the one guy(s) on one
    side that need to make a name or revenge some act.

Month ago some 1% club members showed up at the ACE cafe
    downtown on bike night, theres usually 300 bikes and double the
    people there, vendors, music, etc, it's not a "biker" event and these
    guys started some crap with someone, not sure if another club etc,

None the less, no colors are allowed there and ACE has to pay to have LEO's
    at an event where it wasn't a problem until the MC started showing up and
    starting stuff.

A lot of the 1% MC are in FL.
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Red, I understand your sentiment about how being in an MC is contradictory to what they proclaim that they give you. However not all MC's are set up in the 1% er fashion. I chose this MC for very specific reasons and for the time that I spent with the club already, I can tell that they are serious about what it is that they stand for and that there makes it worth while for me. Don't worry Red, we will be able to share the lane together when we meet again on the road. This club is truly about Brotherhood.:cool:
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. Red Rider

I get what ya'll are saying. JB, your my brother - even though we didn't prospect or anything, we've shared more than the road already. I also know that you're man enough to ride with anyone you want to ride with, whether they wear the colors of your club or not. It is good you have found what you want with the club you're interested in. I'm not trying to denigrate any MC members, just sayin' it don't fit me.

Funny thing is, I run into all sorts of clubs while crossing the country. None have been jerks, though there has been a little bit of unwelcome from a couple - and they weren't 1% clubs - one was a Christian one! In fact, the only club that made a point of asking me if I wanted to ride with them, be a hang-around, was a 1% club (you may recall this, JB, as it happened when riding out to ya in 2016). Of course, it wasn't out-of-the-blue, we'd road over a hundred miles together at that time with some demonstration of riding style and skill - and it could always be BS - but it is funny that no other group has shown interest...not even other vet groups (and I have both military unit and firefighter patches that are really obvious). Maybe they could tell I didn't ride that way, or maybe just too cloistered.

FYI, I actually was warned many years ago not to have any patches on my vest - I had the Stars & Stripes and a few less unit patches then - by a prospect with a club. I blew that "warning" off, 'cuz anyone with a problem with those patches was an enemy anyway. Shared some road and beers with some full patch 1% a number of times after and they had no problem...figured it was a non-issue since. Probably just an eager prospect wanting to puff himself up.

Ride as you wish - if you do, you're riding free. That works for me.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Red, I love everything you said there and it is the truth. I do remember you telling me about your dealings with the clubs while on the road.
    your last

Red, here is something that I came to realize and you alluded to at the end of end of your last post. Freedom is more than just the conscience things that we recognize. For me I am in search of a Freedom that I have not had in a long long time. Yes, it has always been there for my taking but I didn't or haven't. This club is offering me an avenue to take that freedom or should I say, enhance it or realize it? Motorcycles has shown me a lot of things, a different way, this club also provides an avenue for me to give back. Freedom is in the eye of the beholder. I know that you know all this, just having a conversation one brother to brother.
    Red Rider likes this.
  11. Red Rider

So, if you are allowed to say, how is the prospecting going? Can you give any details? Some here may be thinking of doing the same.

Not me, of course, I'm going fishing.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Sure I can. As of right now it is going really well. Not a lot of the typical hazing that one may expect. For the people that I have met they all seem to really nice. This club is filled with a lot of older people so when at functions it can get kind of boring. We need younger blood in the club that is for sure. As of now, it seems that the majority of the events that they do is camp outs throughout the summer that are hosted by each chapter, and most of the chapters are fairly close to me. There is food at these camp outs and of course we ride together. Look, I am saying we when I am not even a member yet. :happy: There is a camp out in early September that I am really looking forward to which is in Wisconsin near where a member of this forum is from. Great riding in that area of Wisconsin!
    Red Rider likes this.