1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Pushrod adjustment

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bushwackerhd, Feb 18, 2012.

1. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Picked up a 97 Classic, base gaskets were leaking. Tore it down and now putting it back together it has adjustable pushrods (not known what brand) what would be the safe way to adjust them. If my memory serves me correctly, was it 16 flats after contact.

Tom
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

man its been to long for me as well , but your idea sounds close , this old mind has trouble reaching back that far :eek:
  3. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

take it to zero lash if rocker boxes are still off set a dial indicator on the rocker and set them to 0.60 after zero lash. if your not sure about the flats . or you can look up the setting on the andrews web page if you know the thred per inch.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Diff mfg has different number of turns. Normally its like 2 1/2 turns if'n I remember correctly but you got to consider bleed down too.
    Find out who makes the pushrods and get their directions.
    A indy shop knows.

Harley adjustabl pushrods, N-gin - YouTube
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Here is a simple way to set adjustable pushrods without instructions....if you don't have the TPI(threads per inch) measure an inch and count the threads...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. Lucifer

Copied from Big Boyz site....This formula will tell you how many wrench flats to turn...you can divide the wrench flats by 6 to get how many full turns...I prefer that way because you can mark 1 flat and it's easier to count 3 full turns rather than 18 flats on a 30 TPI push rod...

To adjust pushrods that you may no longer have the instruction sheets for or may have come in a bike when purchased, you can figure out the adjustments as follows.

The number of flats to turn the nut for proper pushrod adjustment can be calculated easily. First you have to find the number of threads per inch (tpi) on the adjusters. To do this simply measure 1 inch of threads and count them.

The tappet plunger moves aproximately .190" and the adjustment is in the middle or at about .100". To figure the number of flats for a .100" adjustment, use the following formula... number of flats=.100"/[1"/(tpi*6)]
    For example, an adjuster turned 3 turns (18 flats) @ 30 tpi will make the pushrod .100" longer.

30tpi*6=180 (Threads per inch TIMES 6 = 180)
    1"/180=.0055555 (1 inch DIVIDED BY the answer from above, in this case 180)
    .100"/.0055555=18 flats (.100" is the amount of desired pushrod movement DIVIDED BY the answer from above .0055555 and EQUALS the number of wrench flats to obtain the desired adjustment.)

To further explain this....
    tpi TIMES 6 gives the total number of wrench flats in 1" of the adjuster. 30tpi TIMES 6 wrench flats per thread EQUALS 180 wrench flats per inch.

1 inch DIVIDED BY the total number of flats (180) EQUALS the amount of travel for 1 wrench flat (.0055555")

Total travel desired (.100") DIVIDED BY the amount of travel per wrench flat (.0055555") EQUALS the number of wrench flats to achieve the desired travel (18 flats).

Thats the long technical explination. The easy way is to take the number of threads per inch and multiply by .6
    For example ....
    24tpi TIMES .6 EQUALS 14.4 flats
    30tpi x .6 = 18 flats
    32 x .6 = 19.2

And this will give you the correct adjustment for any manufactures adjustable pushrods that are used with stock style hydaulic lifters.
  7. cardboard

8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

NOW i know why ya bring your stuff to me.................:rolleyes:
  9. cardboard

I waited on you fer a week and wound up doing it myself.
    I'm Lazy, but I can't wait too.
  10. Lucifer

Not a lot of calculating moving a decimal point 1 place to the left:roflmao:.... 24TPI= 2.4 complete turns to preload the lifter at .100"
    30TPI=3 turns
    32TPI=3.2 turns
  11. cardboard

Its easier to just take a automatic center punch and hit them and stick some color on it. Then I can see what I'm doing.

I already forgot how to move decimel points anywhere.
    Redneck's ain't interested in deceimel points .........
    Yer just trying to complicate things.
    Like instead of doing things to all torque ranges now you gots to drag a angle gauge in the program to confuse Older people.
    http://www.restockit.com/torque-ang...urce=theFind&bvar5=FIND&bvar6=FIND&bvar7=FIND

and you can'tre use head bolts on things like Chevy Vortec heads. ONce they are torqued, they are not reusable. When you pick them up they are lighter than regular bolts.
    When I used to build car motors they had stars to represent how strong they was. Well I guess they quit using those. WE live in a disposable world.
    WTF.
    If I don't do things on a regular basic I forgit them.
    And I have to sit down and remind myself . Sometimes just doing it reminds me while I'm doing it.
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

youse boys is funny !!!!! as long as there is preload on the lifter you are ok ! min 0.60 to 100 thou your ok if it ticks when hot go another flat its a hydro . think about a solid shovel adjustment turn them till the push rod just touch and your done no feeler gauge no thousands if they were to tight you had a valve hanging open . and a miss hydrolifters are very forgiving!
  13. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

thanks for the input, found out the manufacterer 2 1/2 turns

thanks again