1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Question on new fuel pack for 08 Sporty 1200c

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by moresquirt, Mar 29, 2009.

1. moresquirt

moresquirt New Member

I have the Vance and Hines slipons with Quiet baffles and want to get a fuel pack for the Stage #1 ,will probably go with a S/E or Ness intake as i want to retain the original air cleaner chrome cover.So much info on stuff related to this my head is spinning.Dealer is telling me to just bring it to them and they will do a remap with the kit but thinking of going with a V&H fuel pack as it seems really simple and havent herd much negative plus i will not be going into the motor on any future mods.The commander,Sert,PC111 ect all sound great but really not sure if i will see any added benefits unless i take it and have it Dynoed .I just want a little Moresquirt and a cooler running motor regardless of changes in mileage.Can somone advise thats been down this road,Thanks
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I have been doing a bit of research on the same thing. To me the ones with the pots you set with a screwdriver seem to be the simplest to dial in.
    So far the TFI seems to me to be the easiest. SE Race fueler is almost the same except it has 2 RPM pots and the TFI has 1.

Here's a couple of links to give some info on it and an install video.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV

YouTube - Techlusion TFI install

Just to give you an idea of how these type work as opposed to going to the companies website and looking up your mods and setting it up with a sequence of numbers.
    Hope it helps some.:devil:

You can also check the thread "Stick Out" where there is a list of different ones available.
  3. moresquirt

moresquirt New Member

4. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I just installed a Cobra Fi2000r 02 injection tuner. The install was a pain in the ass. I looked at the TFI website and the cobra is basically the same thing. The TFI has you cobble inline splices to your wiring. I've seen to many of those fail. I've had good luck with the cobra and it is the cheapest tuner that I've found. $229 from denniskirk. The TFI also eliminates your 02 sensors. The cobra uses you existing 02 sensors. Hope this helps.

Ride on
  5. moresquirt

moresquirt New Member

Your an electrician and you say it was apain in the ass,well i am pretty mechanicl but based on that statement i have decided to go with a bolt and go system like the Vance and Hines unit.The PCV unit from FuelMoto sounds good also but don,t know alot that have used it,anyone comment on that.
  6. Lucifer

08XModel the TFI's have tap in and plug and play for all models and they have ones for 08-09 Models.
    The Cobra's also eliminate the O2 sensors. I've seen the TFI's on Flea Bay for $198. and free shipping.
  7. Lucifer

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. moresquirt

moresquirt New Member

Thanks,I will see if its doable for me.
  9. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Lucifer:

I'm just going off what what is on the TFI website. The video I watched showed the tech using inline butt splices to get power to the tfi unit. I've seen to many connections like that fail over time. I'm not saying TFI is a bad unit.
  10. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

House wiring and bike wiring are two different things. I like to make sure that I have good mechanical connections and not be cutting and splicing wires. Any time you cut and splice you are asking for a problem down the road.
  11. TM103

TM103 Active Member

moresquirt, you are right on with the PCV from Fuel Moto. I put their setup on my 09 UC and couldn't have been better. Runs awesome. Very simple install.:D
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  12. moresquirt

moresquirt New Member

Did you have to remove the o2 pipe sensors and install plugs or just plug the unit in and go with there precalibrated fuel download.(based on your set-up)
    What benefits did you notice, set of the pants!
  13. TM103

TM103 Active Member

moresquirt, you do not remove the O2 sensors. A set of plug caps come with the tuner. You unplug the sensors and plug the caps in place of the O2 lead into it. Leave the sensors in place. Won't hurt anything.;)
  14. Lucifer

Yeah I saw that too...if that was the only way to use one of them I would have crossed it off the list right then, being an electrician you know about good solid connections and what happens when you use cheap connectors, but you don't need that trade to know that either.
    These fuelers seem to be a good way to go if you're going to just do a stage 1 and maybe add a bolt in cam and you don't want or need to raise the rev limit or adjust the timing curve.
    PCIII, TMax and the others are more expensive and overkill IMO for a stage1.
    $1000 module is way too expensive for Stage 1 just to be able to keep the O2 sensors hooked up, but when it's time to do some serious work the auto tune ECM's would be the way to go and you wouldn't need a dyno for a good running street bike,dyno it if you want to get those last couple of ponies, but the farther up the scale you go the more its gonna cost ya....goin fast costs money, how fast you wanna spend??:devil:
  15. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I haven't worked on the EFI Sportsters, but from what others who have are saying, the easiest & least expensive way to go is a replacement set of O2 sensors & wiring which alters the voltage to the ECM & changes the air/fuel ratio. Here's an article / advertisement about that:

Nightrider.com Performance Parts