1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Queston about Evo

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Are the exhaust gaskets for evo the same as the TC,s ? Also is the CV carb just a easy swap for the makuni sp carb ? I put a super trap 2-1 on The 94 softail yesterday , bro in law had his old one & gave it to me :) , I had the TC gaskets & used them , still need to adj The carb , have not ridden it yet , but it does sound better
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe they are the same exhaust gaskets, same port size HD hasn't changed that in years I've used ones from my TC in buddies EVO no problem.

Prefer the stock v shaped to the SE flat rings, better seal... JMO

Are you asking if you can put a Mik on the CV manifold? Yes, no changes needed
    Micky Rooney 42 to CV 40 Intake...
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Evo and Twinkie exhaust gaskets are the same....You also use the same manifold,CV40 or Mikuni42....the Mik is a smidgen(actual measurement:rolleyes:)larger so you'll have fun trying to get it in....I can't remember which seal is thicker...stock or Cometic,you'll want to use the thinner one and lube it with dish soap or your favorite lube.....
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It is just funny that we are talking about the Mik42. It is my understanding that this carb actually flows better than the CV40. I may look into this carb if I can't find what I want, which is a 44mm carb..
  5. cowboy

Thanks guys , As for the carb the top looks like a cv & The bottom looks like the mlk in my s manual I was just thinking if The newer style CV would fit might go that route just to up date it , I really don't know much about The mlk carb
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I believe all 40 CV's are the same size, the newer ones just have better parts, the older ones like on your bike has an over flow tube on the fuel bowl, newer ones don't have that feature.
    I've had new cv's on old bikes and old cv's on newer bikes.
  7. cowboy

Thanks HarleysLR that's what I was looking for on the carb info guess I wasn't clear in my question , I am not sure what year cv carb & Harley got together , it does have the cv top on it guess I nerd to read the book :)
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Re: Queston about Evo carb

There are a few ways to ID a CV carb, #1 being the little foil sticker on the side or top of the back spigot. The last 2 digits after the dash (-) indicate the version year.
    -88 was only used on 1988 Sportsters, no accelerator pump (avoid this carb). The only redeeming quality of the 88 XL carb was the introduction of the N65C needle to overcome the hesitation. That needle became a tuner's best friend for years to come (and now) for use on any CV carb.
    -89 thru -92 (1990-1995) has a brown colored "barrel" style float assembly and 2 piece bowl gasket.
    -96 thru -99 (1995-2000) new style black float assembly, one piece bowl gasket. H-D lightened the slide spring.
    -00 thru -04 (2000-2006) same features as 1995-2000 models. Added internal vent which eliminated need for bowl overflow tube for emissions. Updated accelerator pump cover with 2 passages (2 o-rings). Only disadvantage with the internal overflow/vent is if your float sticks, fuel will wash down your cylinders rather than spill out onto the ground.

Basically the new style carbs with the black float are favorable over the old barrel floats but functionally they are all the same. All of the 1990-2006 CV carbs share the same parts (jets, emulsion tube, needle, slide, spring, etc) which makes them all candidates when swapping or getting a donor carb from another bike.

Probably more info than you were looking for but perhaps it will come in handy some day.
  9. cowboy

Thanks Ken The info will help alot at least now I will know what to look for