1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Quiet time

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by GreyBear, Aug 27, 2006.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Today dawned beautiful and sunny, and it was a great day to get out. My lady, Moulon Rouge and I set out...(You didn't think I meant Mrs Bear did you? LOL) by hitting the Cracker Barrel for biscuits and gravy, then headed up towards Johnson City, Tn. Really nice ride once ya get above Asheville, NC on I 26. That stretch of 26 hasn't been opened up long and it is still in great shape and sort of unsued. Going throught the Gap even in Summer it's chilly. Really great scenery. Made it to JC and skirted around the Starbucks/Barnes and Noble/Outback this looks like every other place now strip and headed out to the country. Wound up at Cat Daddys place around noon and woke him up. He was feeling better and had to show me the progress on rebuilding his Road King. By the time he is off crutches it will be ready to go.
    After visiting a bit I cranked up and headed back veering off the Interstate at Saluda, NC. Nice little place although a bit artsy fartsy touristy for my taste...but the bar b que is fine. Had some ribs and headed down the old highway 176 a wonderful two lane full of switchbacks and scenery. Was gonna stop at Pierson falls but by that time they were closed. Seems like when ya have Summer daylight places would not keep Winter hours, *shrugs*. Got back and Mrs Bear wanted to go riding to blow the "being a supervisor" BS and cobwebs out of her head.so we went to Boiling Springs and one of Sonics Route 44 Cherry Limades. Came back and started in on the rhum. She is doing Mojitos and I am doing my usual Summer drink, Tahitian Iced Tea. (Dark rhum, sweet iced tea with lime) it has been a good day. Hope everyone else had a good one.....

Ride Free....
  2. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Greybear,....I gotta say, the nomad life you describe sure sounds sweet! I could only hope to one day be able to do 1/2 the rides you offer up here!
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Nomadic life

Ya know it isn't all sunshine and smooth hiway. There's the getting jacked up cause your on a bike and out of state (thankfully not as much of that anymore. Most folks I knew avoided Mississippi and Alalbama like the plague during cotton picking season. They loved to catch ya and give ya 30 days on the work crew, free labor ya know). It takes a really special woman to put up with a Nomad. I have never had a relationship that failed because either of us were screwing around or the usual break up causes, it was because I just couldn't be around enough for them. When I think about it, I don't think I could be on her end of the equation. And even then no one else, her family, friends co workers etc will understand how she "puts up with that crap". when I am back I spend twice the time doing my "honey do list" cause it is ALWAYS behind. You have to have a support system along the way because spendng every night in a motel is expensive and no matter how much you love camping you want a bed once in a while. And that means that your woman has to also understand that she may arrive home to find not just you but 2 or 3 others who want to do their laundry and crash on the sofa and in the spare bedroom. The neighbors wonder what all these people are doing comig by all the time... so ya see it's like everything else a Yin Yang thing.

But, once you get it in your blood, it's worse than cocaine, heroine and crack all rolled into one. Part of it is, I think, born with you. most folks when I was a kid would see a train and say "I wonder where thats going?" I never cared.....I just wished I was on it GOING.

Having said all that I am out of here tomorrow for Labor Day, lol. Have a great holiday weekend everyone, be safe and....

Ride Free.........