1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Quit Smoking

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 12, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I have been tobacco free now for almost three days now. Most of the time it isn't bad, but now, at this very moment, I am really wanting a cigarette. I am healthier today than what I was yesterday.... I have to keep telling myself that.... :(
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

Hang in there it will get easier .I have been tobacco free since Jan 1st. This is first year riding without any tobacco. I smoked and used chewing tobacco. If I can get off them both anyone can.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yes keep it up , the not smoking I meen :D, I know I need to try to stop again :banghead:
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Good job JB. Stay with it. I'll tell you a short story: I recently had kidney stones. The hospital took a CT Scan of my stomach to see if stones is what I had. The scan picked-up my lower lungs. On the report they had found the stone AND, a nodule on one of my lungs. Once I got through the stone thing, and worrying for a week about the nodule my doc recommended a chest CT. I went had it done and they found 3 nodules. We are now on aa 6 month schedule for chest CT's to see if the nodules grow. Bottom line: I quit smoking little more than 4 years ago. NOW, I regret evey stinking smoke I stuck in my mouth. The nodules more than likely are nothing, but...
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hope you can kick it JB, better for the kids to. I smoked 2 packs a day 20 years ago and quit cold turkey. Hard to do but it felt so good after a while. It will be real hard for awhile especially after a meal but stick to it and soon you won't want one.:)
  6. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 18 years and quit 4 years ago, and you are right JB I am still feeling healthier everyday. I don't miss it at all. Good luck to you, after I quit I grew up and bought my first bagger.:cool:
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What did yu do to quit Steve? Did you use that Breath Laser Therapy??? I did, it works pretty good too.
  8. parker

parker New Member

I smoked 2 packs a day,here is what i did to quit,had a heart attack,still did,nt get the hint,had another one.i took the hint.you do no t want to go thier,have'nt smoked in 14 years.:)
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I smoked 2 packs/day for 15 years. 8 years ago I just quit, smoked the last one in the pack and decided I wasn't going to buy them anymore. That was pretty much the extent of my secret to quitting, just not buying them. I realize it's not that easy for others. For me the results were dramatic. I hadn't realized at the time that I had developed the habit of constantly clearing my throat and my wife brought it to my attention that I wasn't doing that anymore. Also my general health improved, where before I would have a very severe chest cold (and sometimes bronchitis) at least 2-3 times a year, and now I rarely get sick at all.

My mom's health went down hill very fast partially due to her heavy smoking and ultimately died at only 64, so I've witnessed what it can do to some people. Then again I've known those who smoked into the 80's without an issue, all depends on how your body can deal with it.

Just so you know, I'm not one of those smoker-haters now. To each his own and I don't preach for anyone to quit, but for those who are quitting best of luck.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I used "I wish the hell you'd stop smoking!" day in and day out by the OL! Eventually, she won! Thank God. Oooops, wrong "Steve". Now the secret is out.
  11. steveb

steveb Active Member

I used the nicotine patches to quit.
  12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I used to smoke 2 packets a day. I quit 4 and a bit years ago, didn't use patches or anything, just stopped, but recovering from TB was a good reason to stop.

Good luck JB. Hang in there. It gets easier over time.
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

you smoked and skied cross country? Wow!! you must be pretty athletic...I still miss the smoke..and the chew..especially the chew..10 years for the chew..26 for the smokes..good on all of you for getting out of it.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

It does get easier, Johnny. I quit several times before I finally quit for good - 39 years ago, cold turkey. For me, the worst was the first week or so, especially after meals. Resist the smokes and keep telling yourself you'll live a longer and healthier life.
  15. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I used Chantix which worked great for me, and I threw out my lighter and ashtray in the garage where I went to smoke when I was at home.
  16. more power

more power New Member

It does get easier. One of the best things I ever did for myself. I'm a quitter from 23 years ago. Smoked around 2 packs a day depending on what I was doing at the time if you get my drift. I used a lot of program stuff helped. Got into a lot of exercise. Plus a girlfriend told me I was weak and could not do it. Haven't had a smoke since.
  17. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Good luck JB, I quit in Jan. this year. I have quit several times over the last 35 years or so, this longest stint for 5 years or so which should of been sufficent to stay quit but I think you never loose that craving. My Dad told me after he had been quit for like 20 years he still got a craving now and then. for me the hardest craving to get through is when I'am drinking some "soda pop with foam on top":roflmao: Again good luck, you will get to feeling better.:D
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Its all about Will Power and how bad you really want to quit.
    If you ain't got any will power you gonna have a problem.

I used to smoke years ago. Was gittin a hair cut. Told the Barber I was thinkin about quittin, he said hand me the pack you have in yer pocket and quit right now. I took my pack of Squares out and handed to him and quit.

When I met my OL she smoked, I rode her till she quit. to this day she thanks me for gittin her to quit.
  19. Studds

Studds Active Member

I smoked 2 packs a day when I decided to quit last Oct. 29,2010. I started smoking while working at a grocery store when I was 15 ( 48 yrs. ago ). After almost getting killed May 24, 2010 by an undocumented Democrat (Illegal alien- hit and run while sitting on my 03' Heritage Softail Classic at a red light) and telling everyone that I was through riding, I spotted my new bike on E-Bay--2003 Electra Glide Classic. I made a deal with myself when I started bidding on the bike---------- If I won the bid on this bike I promised myself that I would quit smoking. I won the bid and quit the day it landed at my front door after buying it sight unseen from Palm City, Fla. I used the electronic cigg. to quit and it worked great !!!! If you really want to quit make a deal with yourself for something that you really want. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations on both accomplishments. What color is your bike. Sounds nice