1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rake and trail

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hi all, I just bought and got a sweet deal on a set of 5 degree triple trees on ebay to help with my raked front end. The guy sent me 7 degreee trees accidently. He mis advertised them. He "didn't know they were 7 degree". These trees will give my bike a -.57" trail dimension. Negative is bad I am told, should I return the 7 degree trees and by new ones at full price or should I try 7 degree trees and see how they work?
    How bad is a -.57" trail dimension?? Is this a no go set-up or am I ok in trying them?
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'd return them. I've never messed with it, but I wrote an article on what rake and trail are, so I have a clue (but just a clue). This is what I found on one website:

TOO LITTLE OR NEGATIVE TRAIL

With too little or negative trail (steering axle mark behind the front axle mark), the bike will handle with unbelievable ease at low speeds, but will be completely out of balance at high speed. It will easily develop a fatal high-speed wobble. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hi abby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Hi Abby - Good to see ya back.
    And the trail rake problem is correct - will for sure cause hi- speed wobble - been there and done that - won't happen again.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya they call it a flooper cause it will floop you over send it back & come down from the 7 degree , Is this for the one bike you have with the raked frame?