1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear Brake Noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ruffrider11, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I was riding Saturday and noticed a noise like a rattle coming from the front of the engine. When I wnen I bent down to lisen closer it went away. I could not hear it while moving. Finally I figured out it was coming from the rear brake master cylinger when I was pressing on the peddle. Does anyone know why this is happening . The brakes seem to be working fine. I have changed both sets of pads recently. Thanks in ad vance for the advice. :cool:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

make sure all the bolts are tight, including floorboards. check the clevis pin also. the engine guard bolts.......:)
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

what he said & any other think you can think of even the nut holding the handle bars:roflmao:
  4. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

Ok at the risk of being made sport of whats a clevis pin? It only makes the noise when the peddle is depressed.
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Does it rattle when the bike is sitting still with the engine running, and you depress the rear brake peddle, or only when the bike is moving? Is it a constant rattle? Shat type of sound does it make?
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Ruffrider, One of the advantages of this forum is that people give advice based on thier own experiences. :roflmao:

I found on my rear brake that gives me problems is the two medal inserts that the brake pads slide on. Sometimes on mine they will get bent in such a way that they will ride on the rotor and that can make an annoying noise.

Hope this helps, T
  7. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

When the engine is running and the peddle is depressed the noise is a rattlling or popping noise coming from the master cylinder area in the front of the bike:confused:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would look around for something else making the noise, there is only a plunger with rubber o rings around it inside the MC.

If the orings were shot you wouldn't have any rear brake pressure.

I bet it's one of the following

Loose Floorboard bolts
    Loose heat shield on exhaust
    Loose front fender bolt
    voltage regulator etc.
    Something somewhere else is loose,
  9. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I'll be checking everything Thanks for the advice:)
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

check the pad on the brake lever...if ya got one. the master cylinder is hooked to the frame with bolts also. the front engine guard it right there also.....ya got a gremlin bell hanging in the area???????
  11. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I do have a bell but it only makes the noise when the brake is depressed:)