1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear cylinder timing offset

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by godot, Dec 7, 2004.

1. godot

godot New Member

I have a Crane HI-4E ignition module, which allows for rear-cylinder-timing-offset setting. I must admit that I do not know much about this setting. What are the pros/cons? Is it worth while messing with it, or should it be left alone? :confused: :confused:

I have a ’99 EVO with Branch heads, Mikuni-42 carb, single fire coil, EV-46 CAM, and V&H Pro pipes.

Thanks in advance. :)
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Unless you're on the dyno you probably won't see a big difference, the crane instructions say to leave this alone.

It may help power and the motor run better but usually takes a dyno to see if anything happens.

Set the rev limit and the curve and the advance
  3. godot

godot New Member

I agree. Unless I hear compelling arguments, I will leave it at "0".

Thank you.
  4. CD

CD Guest

Besides eeking out a pony or two on the Dyno, you can actually lower the rear jug temp if you retard it a degree or two off of optimal.

Takes an EGT guage and a run or two at a given cruise RPM but if you have a really hot running rear jug on a carbe bike this can help. On an EFI, you just back off the rear just timing and some fuel at the same RPM point....Advantage, EFI in this case.
  5. twfreightman

twfreightman New Member

Crane ignition

I am getting ready to buy an adjustable ignition for my bike too. I actually got that suggestion on this forum from hotroadking. (good helpful guy) Everybody I ask says yep, you need that. Was there a reason you preferred the Crane over the adjustable Screamin Eagle or others? Are there any advantages or disadvantages either way?

SE 95in Big Bore, SE HP Cylinder Studs, SE HTCC heads, SE Compression releases, SE HTCC 10.5:1 pistons, SE 257 Cam, SE Mikuni 42, SE K&N Hi-Flo, V&H Pro Pipe HS with 6inch baffle, SE Plugs and wires, SE Clutch Spring,
    BUT...I got the non adjustable SE racing ignition module :( .
    Currently at 99.9hp, and 98.9lb/ft with a big ugly dip/flat spot until I hit 3500 RPM.

I like to use all the HD stuff I can, but if the Crane is better, I can go that direction.
    Thanks.
  6. godot

godot New Member

Great question. Personally, I did not have any particular reason for selecting Crane. Friends have been using it and they recommended it. I do like, however, the multiple possible adjustments. I am not familiar with the SE’s module so I can not make any intelligent comparison. I can say that I am very happy with the module and all of my initial questions were answered by Crane and/or CD without delays or issues. If you go to the Crane website, you can download the specs and installation documents. You can then compare it to SE’s.

Good luck.