1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear Exhaust Back Fire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by shovelhead13, Jul 20, 2012.

1. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I got a 1980 1000 CC custom XLCH. I'm trying to switch the ignition from points to a HI-4N electronic ignition. I made it past the TDC setting so the engine started. I've been warming it up for 16 minutes or so and trying to get the front piston advance mark into the middle of the viewing hole. It back fired a lot when the timing got started and it still does it some with that front piston advance mark close to the middle. I can't tell if the ignition settings cause the back firing or that I just need to advance or retard it some more. There is no tach so one has to guess if the engine is running at the fast idle. Are there any electronic ignition timing tricks?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If its backfiring check the plugs and plug wires, make sure everything is wired up right
    to the right side, if you are single fire it makes a difference because the plug has to fire at the right time on the right piston, the old dual fire coils fired on both pistons at both strokes.
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Some fellas with the old points/condensor ignitions have stayed with them. In some cases, a few I know of after having changed to electronic ignition, went back to the points. You have to gut your entire ignition system to switch either way - including the coil. Just saying. I stayed with points ignition on my '77 shovel. Keeping the double fire coil simplifies tuning, as both cylinders fire simultaneously.

I know this wasn't much help to you, but good luck on your conversion and I hope it turns out to your liking!;)
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member