1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

rear fender info needed

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have a 05 fatboy rear fender for my 94 softie , fits good , But no tabs for the wires , question is how do they run them on the 05 , or should I just make my own tabs & weld them on
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I believe the wiring is held in place using a rubber or plastic channel that has a adhesive strip on the back. It sticks to the underside of the fender and the wiring passes through the channel. The dealer sells it by the foot but you may need to ask for it in the service dept.

A while back I made my own wire brackets on a custom by taking rigid vinyl tubing and cutting it into a few 1/2" lengths. Then I epoxied each of them inside the fender spacing them a couple inches apart the length of the wire run. Think fishing pole guides. Then the wiring with heat shrink was passed through the guides. Sort of ghetto but since the fender was already painted I didn't want to braise or weld on tabs on the inside edge.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

my 2011 has that channel, it uses that double sided tape to adhere
    to the top inside of the fender in the corner, wires are hidden in the channel.
  4. cowboy

Thanks ken & HRK , I'll look into then channel , My fender still need paint & I'am welding the tail light hole closed ,I have a after market Bee hive ,I swapped over to L E D to mount on it , so I just might go ahead & make the tabs my self , I thought my 03 had the tabs for the wires under the rear , But I've slept since then so not sure ,I'am sure the two sided tape works ,as the newer bikes have it
  5. hotroadking

I think my 00 had the tabs but my 12 has the channel
    I'd opt for the latter, better protection for the wires...
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

In my Sportster rear fender a piece of wire loom was used and then fiber glassed in. I would opt for this type of thing. Quick, easy, no welding to possible warp the fender.
  7. cowboy

Thanks Jon that's another idea to bounce around this empty head , I still have to weld the T Light hole shut , so a tack weld every few inches around & around till it's all welded in won't warp ,& just tack weld the brackets on like the factory did ,or epoxy either will work
  8. JohnnyBiker

No problem. I am aware that small tack welds won't warp the fender, :cool: Hope you get all worked out. Getting much riding in?
  9. cowboy

Just the other day about 60 miles or so , , Just got settled on the horses & Boys wreck , no biggie but all there Meds bills are paid in full now & one big monkey off our backs now ,& Now the last Daughter is setting up a wedding back jumping through hoops LMAO , Are you guys ever getting out of the deep freeze your in ?
  10. JohnnyBiker

No. It seems like it is going to hang on like it did last year. We had about a 10 day stretchwith temps at about -10°and about -45° with wind chill. We even had a stretch when actual air temp reached -30°.
  11. hotroadking

so a heat wave did ya get out and ride?
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Take a steel 3/8 fuel line tube contour it to the fender .three tack welds and your done.you wont use heavy wire to those rear lights any way make your harness .shrink wrap the bundle and pull it through.
  13. cowboy

That's another good idea BP thanks
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

All fine ideas - don't forget to shrinkwrap the wires whichever way you go ;). I crimp & then solder all my connectors, then slide an extra piece of shrinkwrap over the connector, but some riders don't like to solder.
  15. cowboy

Oh yes I do believe in soldering mires , But all my stock wires are all in top shape & I really don't want to splice them , so thinking of just making folding tabs like the stock fender has
  16. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's a good idea.
  17. cowboy

that's what I was thinking , had another guy tell me about some flashing for a roof , has it's own glue type stuff on the back , says you heat it with a heat gun after cutting to fit , said he used it on a couple of custom bike he's built , guess I walk around home depot & check it out
  18. hotroadking

heck just get the newer preformed wire channel from HD for the newer
    bikes, fenders have the same curves, and it's not going to rub and scrap the wires

All you do is peel and stick...
  19. cowboy

Thanks HRK , I'll try to call my dealer here in the next few days & check into that
  20. hotroadking

call jon the parts manager at Horny Toad HD
    tell him you got his info on the bagger forums
    you'll get a good discount...