1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

rear light wireing help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gumby321, Jul 20, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    i have just recieved a nice pair of rear lights for my fxr. i want to mount them on my struts. they have two bulbs in them. i want to use them as running lights and directionals also. what i have on there now are the stock lights with 1 wire to each light. i have a badland kit from my old bike but no directions. these new lights have two wires coming out of them a red and black. what do i need to do to get them to work. i am also getting new front lights soon also. those will be the small bullet looking types. please give me some insite on how to wire these up. i would greatly appreciate any help. i am by far no electrical madman...meaning in a good way. gumby321 peace
  2. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Here is a link to the Badlands support page. I had to get a wiring diagram for one there. There are a few different ones to choose from. Just click on the one you need.

http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com/Tech_Support.htm

I think you may have to run another wire to be able to run the running lights. Otherwise you can wire it so both lights light up for the directional.

Someone else with a better knowledge of electrics may be able to chime in here.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

take a look at the number on the bulb....if it is 1157 it is a dual function bulb......brake,running. if it is a 1156 it is a single function...normally running, but can be used as brake light. hope this helps a bit

chuck
  4. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Chuck

No It Didn't Help, But Thanks Anyway. These Lights Have 2 Bulbs In Them. They Are Both The Same Size. This Is Why I Am Thinking They Can Be Used For Both Running Lights And Directionals. I Need To Find Someone Who Has Done This Before Or Has The Knowhow To Do It. Thanks Again For The Reply. Gumby321 Peace
  5. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

I Am Still In Need Of Help With Some Wireing

I Need Someone Who Has Knowledge Of Rear Dual Bulb Lights. I Want To Mount Them On My Struts. If Anybody Out There Knows They Way Please Contact Me. Gumby321 Peace
  6. bluejay864

bluejay864 New Member

Wiring signals ---------------

Ok, here's what I get after looking at the Web-site that was provided, and trying to follow the question. Chuck, hit the nail on the head. If the lights are supplied with only one wire to each bulb, this tell me that the housing will be using the ground - from the frame, fender strut. Easy way to check would be to run a wire from the + or Positive side of the battery to one wire. Then hook up another wire to the - Negative side of the battery. Touch the negative wire to the housing of the new light assembly, on the lite housing. If no lights, then the other wire is for ground, or negative.

bluejay864
  7. maxpower_hd

Let me try to understand this a little better. My brother has a similar set of lights by the sounds of it and he wants to do the same thing.

These are strut mounted directionals that have two bulbs and a black and red wire coming from the housing. The bike only has one wire, relying on the strut mounting for it's ground. The way my brothers is currently wired, he only has directionals and no running lights. I believe you should be able to run a wire from the running light in the tail light to the extra wire in your housing to get you your running light seperate from your directional. You could simply run a jumper wire with aligator clips to confirm. The only problem I can see is that it may make the directionals more difficult to notice when being used.

I will try to contact my bro and see if he tried it yet. He was just talking about this last weekend.
  8. CD

CD Guest

Are these Ness struts like here?

http://www.directparts.com/articles/fxr/

If they are, they are turn signal only lights. There are two bulbs wired together internally. The red is hot, the black is ground. Note that as a rule of thumb, black is never used for power when there are multiple wires. The strut is not a ground.

There is a way to make them work as a running light and turn signal though.
    The Badlands Run, Brake and Turn unit has circuitry that will allow you to use these for both run and turn signals. The unit also has a built in load equalizer which you need since these bulbs are a lower wattage than 1127 bulbs.

The part number is DSDS272235
    https://www.directparts.com/cgi-bin/dp.store/EN/Product/DSDS272235

You can see it here:

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/1728/49/2385312?q=ds272235
  9. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Don't Know About The Strutts Or Lights, But Your Project Still Looks Sweet Cd!
  10. maxpower_hd

Thanks CD. That will clear things up for my brother too.
  11. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Sorry Max

I Just Found Out That You Already Replyed To My Question And So Did Many Others. I Am Still Finding My Way Around Here. So Please Forgive Me For My Lack Of Knowledge. Gumby321 Thanks All