1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear motor mount

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by stokes, Nov 8, 2011.

1. stokes

stokes New Member

Anybody ever changed out a rear motor mount on a '97 FXD?If you believe the manual,it looks easy enough.It says to remove left rear foot peg and the lower debris deflector off the belt.That gives access to that side,but the other side looks like the muffler,bracket and possibly the rear brake resevoir have to come off.The book says nothing about that,tho.Anybody got any suggestions before I start removing everything on the right side?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

does it come out the left side ? maybe thats all you need to take off
  3. stokes

stokes New Member

No,it drops out the bottom.Problem is getting a wrench on the nuts on the right side.I was able to slip a longer box end in from underneath and just hang it on the nut while I got a deep socket on the other side and worked it a short turn at a time.Took forever but it came out.Getting the new one on is gonna be a trick,cant get my fingers in to hold the nuts in place while trying to get the threads on the bolt to catch.I'm gonna try to glue the nuts onto the body of the new mount so they will be lined up and in place.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you may also try putting electrical tape on the box end of a wrench, push the nut into the box to hold it to get it started.......
  5. stokes

stokes New Member

Problem with that is,that when I get the wrench in there,I cant use it to turn the nut.Theres no room to swing the wrench.I figure a drop of crazy glue should hold it where it needs to be till I get the bolt tightened up.Then I can "hang" the wrench on the nut to tighten it the final turn.It says to tighten it to 25 ftlbs,but there is no way I'm getting a torque wrench in there without removing the entire primary,can barely get the ratchet in.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glue should work also......
  7. seabee

seabee Active Member

3-M Weather stripe adhesive works really great for that sort of thing.
  8. stokes

stokes New Member

Apparently the old mount was so bad that the engine sagged to the point that the nuts couldnot be accessed from the right side.With the new mount in place the nuts are accessible.I did glue the nuts on the mount before installing,made getting the first few turns much easier.I did change the front one as well,but now I have to wonder about the top mount,since the engine did sag quite a bit,I have to think the top mount was stretched too much.We'll see.