1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear Primary Bearing and race

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by GreyBear, Apr 24, 2007.

1. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Howdy,
    Anyone have any experience with the rear bearing and race in the inner primary going south? My SuperGlide is having them replaced now, (under warranty) I suddenly heard a noise that wasn't supposed to be there and pinned it down to the primary and took it to the stealership. They confirmed it and that was the problem so they are fixing it.
    Has anyone else ever had that problem? I have run aluminum primaries since back in the 60's and never had one go bad. Usually IF you replaced it it was just because you had everything else new and figured why not? My 86 Evo had 123K on it when I sold it and still had the same bearing. And the 66 shovel I got a few years ago had the one that came in it in 66. Is this a fluke or something new they "improved"?

Ride Free......
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

GB

It's prone to happen on higher HP bikes more than anything else the race will walk, if it goes in it hits the trans if it goes out it pops the seal on the primary.

I replaced mine with a one piece bearing support that comes from zippers, it's designed to fit tight to the mainshaft and eliminates the race on the shaft.

High mileage might do it too, don't know.

It's worth doing the zippers mainshaft conversion if you have a lot of power.
  3. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Fixed problem

Just a heads up. Seems tha they originally suggested changing the bearing every 15K then decided that wasnt neeeded..unfortunatley some of the dynas had a 15k bearing. Now they don't recommend the change...and if needed will warranty it. They did and I have put 1200 miles on it and it seems fine.
    Thanks for the info HRK, I will check into that when I do the big bore kit.

Ride Free......
  4. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

do you know what year Dynas ?? I have a 97 superglide
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Here is a link to the Inner Primary Bearing Upgrade

JMO if you are planning a big bore down the road and you have the inner primary off now, go ahead and do the upgrade now, won't hurt, you have to do a new bearing anyway, and, you won't have to pull the primary apart again when you bor the motor.