1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear tire on 09 Ultra

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 7, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I pulled my rear tire and wheel off the bike yesterday and took it in to the HD dealer to have the tire replaced. Holy crap is that new fat tire expensive. With a 60% discount on the tire it still came to 263.00 with me bringing in the wheel. They did replace the tube and rim band, their policy. You can only get that tire from a HD dealer for now. That D407 180/65B 16 SW is really pricey. I decided to replace the brake pads even though they didn't need it yet but would have before another tire would be needed.
    I only have the sears lift and what a bitch getting that heavy tire/wheel up in place. Got it up on a floor jack and jacked it up into place. Still, had I had them do it the price would have been another 100 or more for removal/install and another 50 for labor on the brakes.
    Should be good for another 13-14,000 miles.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Did you even check at any Indy shops.

Man that's a lot to pay for a tire.....:gah:
  3. FLHTbiker

The Indy shops buy em from a HD dealer and their 60.0 more. You can't buy that tire except from a HD dealer. Avon, is coming out with a tire but it is going to be over 200 for it. So if your thinking of a new bike that new fat tire will bight you when you go to change it. They are getting better miles on em than the old stock tire did.
  4. cardboard

You doing a good job of making a grown man cry with the tire prices.
    I'm payin about 135.00 for a new Rear Metzler tire on my 08 if'n I remember right. And that is mounted and balanced if I take my bike to a Indy shop.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

whos shop??????
  6. cardboard

Texas V twins in Trinity off 356, Hes closed like Wed and thursday.
    But he's open friday ,saturday and sunday, monday, tuesday.............
  7. chucktx

he removes the tire, replaces, balance and reinstall for 135???????? i gonna see him
  8. FLHTbiker

Your temp reading on your posts is reading cooler than what we are. Think it got up to 100 today. Was real warm when I was putting that wheel back in place.
    Keep your 08 if you don't want to pay that higher tire price. I also noticed when the tread was worn out on my ride last weekend that the bike didn't corner for sheet. Friend of mine got 15,000 on his 09 rear tire but I only got about 13,000. Better than the 8,000 I got on my 06 Ultra rear tire.
  9. cardboard

it may be 135,00 for the tire and 20.00 to mount and balance
    you better call and make sure he has the tire in stock and git a price for good luck
  10. chucktx

when i call im gonna tell him you told me to call and you said how much it is gonna cost me!!
  11. cardboard

Whatcha want him to do, start laughin or hang up on you..........:D

I don't dictate his prices, and you know prices changes all the time nowdays.

He likes to sell Avon tire and he likes to sell, Dunlop E3 tires. He must git a good deal on them.
    Seen some Venom tires that looked good. I just ain't ever ran any Avons.
  12. cardboard

Man it has rained here everyday since before the hurricaine turned and went threw Mexico just below brownsville, Tx,
    Thats why out temps ain't up.
    There is so much moisture in the air when you walk around you feel like a spongue.

It tires need to cose 263.00 I will probaly have to quit riding.............
  13. FLHTbiker

Keep the older bike then cause that's what it would cost you. That is if you have spoked wheels like mine. I should have said keep the spokes and give me a set of mag wheels. However even with the mag wheels it will still run you over 200.00.
  14. cardboard

Got aluminum 10 spoke wheels from the factory.

What's the difference in a 180 65B 16 and a 180 70 16 tire.
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If they charged you for a tube and strip go get your money back, you don't use tubes and strips on mag wheels (if you have a spoke it's used but that's it)

The new Dunlop 407's are expensive, but shop around, My dealer had them for $235 and I hit the 20% off day, did the same as you took it off and had them do the mounting, about $25. Still expensive no matter how you look at it.

I did get 12K out of the tire, it was cupping.

Hope to get 14K out of this one which is well more than the 8K I got from the softail.

If you could get 15 to 16K from it, then it's about the same price as the other older tires per mile.

Avon will be hitting the streets with a tire soon and I hear after August Dunlop will be releasing the tires to the general market so we'll have competition for prices...
  16. FLHTbiker

The belt alignment is a whole lot easier than the older bikes. Both sides are tied together on a cam action so both sides extend out the same.

As for tires check this out.

Dunlop TireD407

Dunlop TireElite 3 Radial
  17. hotroadking

FLHT I used my sears lift as well and it's a heavy tire but there is a trick,

Put a 2x6 under the rear tire, because it gets the bike up just an inch or two
    more and prevents the bike from bottoming out on the jack when you get to the point you need to use the jack to align the swing arm and wheel for the axle.

Lift the bike up and put a 2x6 under the tire, then lower the bike until the tire sets on the board and just enough to reduce pressure on the axle.

Tap out the axle with the bike on the lift but touching the board, move the jack up or down just a bit to get it where it will slip right out (no pressure), then slide tire forward, remove belt.

Now jack up the bike. It will clear the tire, slide out the board and roll the wheel/tire out.

To put back roll the tire up on the board under the jacked up bike and align it to the bikes right side. Then lower the jack slowly, you have to shift the tire as the jack moves the bike down and to the left.

Once you get the bike down over the tire (a friend working the lift helps) slip on the belt, spacers, and pop in the axle, using the lift to raise or lower the swing arm into alignment (this is where the board helps as you never get to the bottom of the lifts capacity.)
  18. FLHTbiker

I have spoked wheels and they charged me 27.95 for the tube, rim band was 2.95 tire was 181.00 labor was 50.00 for them to mount it and balance it. I'll be taking it to a Indy shop next time if tires are available to the Indy shops. I got 12,000 on the rear tire and yep it was cupping to but I wore it down to below the wear marks. I told them I didn't want a new tube and they said then they wouldn't change it. I just had them do it but not next time unless there is a new tube out that has the stem at a 90 degree so you can put air in it when on the road. What a bitch trying to put air in that short stub valve stem sticking straight up between the spokes. :cussing:
  19. hotroadking

Yep that is a PIA, I think they stopped making the 90, buddy had a yamahammer road slut and it had the 90's...
  20. FLHTbiker

hotroadking, I used the same method using the 2x6. However when putting it back on I used the longer 2x4 to lift the tire and then slide my floor jack under the tire. I then lined it up while raising the floor jack. Fit it all together run the axle through it then dropped the floor jack. Works pretty good. Lowering the sears jack would work to but I like sitting in my roll a round chair. Either way it would work but it might be easier on a drive up lift like what Chuck has.