1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear tire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by viking, Mar 6, 2011.

1. viking

viking New Member

I ride an 08 streetglide that I bought new.The back tire is done now and needs to be replaced.I got 18000 km out of it.I was wondering what would be a good replacement for the stock tire.I want to stick to the exact tire size mu85b16 77h.That came on the bike.I was happy with the performance of the original tire but was just wondering if there was something better out there.I think it is a dunlop 402 that came on it.Any input would be great.
    Thanks
    Viking
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

not sure what 18 km equals in miles, but it sounds like ya got a good ride out of it. i run dunlop elete 3's. i get about 12k miles, but i am not hard on it either.....i do a lot of 2 up riding, no burnouts anymore..................
  3. viking

viking New Member

18000 km should be about 11000 miles. so I geuss I am in the ball park for milage.I used to run elites years ago and found them to be a good all around tire.Just wondering if they would still be compatible with the stock front tire or if the tread pattern has changed.I am hearing about radial tires on bikes now.Wow never had them when I started riding."For the times they are a changeing."
    Thanks very much I will look into the elites
    Viking
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I run Metzeler ME880's 240/40vr 18 rear and am just changing it at 10K miles....and unlike chuck, I do lots of burnouts and hole shots. :) I love them.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

hey voodoochild long time no here from , I to run the metzlers & get about 15k from the rear tire , I run the 140-16 03 E Glide had one or two burnouts on the last one:D
  6. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I like the Dunlop 402's also--very tough tire. I have an '08 StreetGlide also, and wanted to see if a different tire would help improve the ride, as the Dunlops have very hard sidewalls.

I put on a Michelin Commander 150/80/16 instead of the MU85, cuz it is about 1inch wider and still fits the fender nicely (6.5" width inflated). It has a softer sidewall and does ride better with about the same mileage (15,000 miles) as Dunlops. It is also very easy to mount on the rim yourself, compared to the stiffer Dunlops.

I may switch back to Dunlops though, as they have a higher load rating, and my bike is heavily loaded with the Tour Pak on. Price is about the same too. Wish someone made a radial tire that could carry the weight of the FL's.

Attached Files:

7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Dunlop 402's are nice tires a bit square for me 11K miles is about right.

I prefer the Avon Venom X as it is rounder and makes handling on these big bikes
    improve significantly, keep them inflated properly and 10 to 11K is
    obtainable on them as well. What you will find is the bike goes through corners
    like you never thought it could on the avons, same for the Dunlop Elite 3's
  8. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Yea, long time! I been around just not on the computer much...too busy trying to scout up work to keep the bill collectors at bay...ain't been easy either! Hope you boys are all doing well....

Sorry to hijack your thread too......:D
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Dunlop 402's to E3'S and will never look back. Those E3's handle a lot better than the 402's - more tire life to.
  10. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

You mean since the last one???
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hehehehe..................you saw that huh??????:D:D