1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear wheel alignment problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Blockhead97, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

Hey guys,
    I just found a real confusing problem with my 1997 Electraglide. While getting a service on the bike at the dealer, they pointed out that my rear tire was rubbing on the inner fender support bracket (Left side). If you sight down the bike from the rear while on the lift, everything on the bike seems to look lined up. I put a leveling tool on the rear fender, rear shocks, rear brake disc, and the swing arm everything looked straight and not out of whack. The dealer replaced the front motor mount (Was bad), and I asked them to see if the other mounts were damaged or can be adjusted. The wheel bearings and axle were checked and found to be fine, and there is no rubbing or tweeking of the drive belt either. They returned the bike to me saying that they didn't find any problems with the other mounts, and the tire is no longer rubbing. But if you look at it from the rear it is obviously offset from center...

The bike has never been in a accident and it rides great, but now knowing this I am not enjoying the bike as much as I use to thinking that something may be wrong.

This has happened over time without any serious shock to the structure of the bike, although I have run over a pot hole that did bottom out the rear tire to the fender. Since then I have poured over pictures I have taken of the bike over time, and I see the mis-alignment must have happened after a long ride I went on just recently and not after the pot hole bottom out.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  2. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

Do you have a service Manual? On some models, the rear tire is slightly offset from the front. It may be normal.. Good luck
  3. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

With your complaint and the service tech finding an alignment issue, they should have checked the alignment! The dealer has some real nice alignment jigs that hook up to the rear of the frame that screw down on the rear axel. With all of the link bolts pulled and the front motor mount bolt pulled the fixtures are tightened to center and align the motor and trans. Then the links are adjusted and the bolt properly installed in the front motormount. A fairly easy procedure if you have the right tools which are essential for the dealer. Ask if it was actually checked according to the book or just visually alligned.