1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rear wheel spacer

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by sbeamer, May 26, 2008.

1. sbeamer

sbeamer New Member

I bought a pair of cast wheels from someone, I think from this forum. They are the 9 spoke silver ones from a TourGlide. I went to put new bearings in and realized there are, or should be some kind of spacer between the bearing and the inner hub of the wheel. They are'nt like some wheels with the pipe spacer, just something like a washer or flange style. Anyone know the kind I need ? Anyone have any of these for sale ?
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Ask around for a local independent H-D shop & you'll probably find the spacers you need. 1st time I went to get new tires for my '95 Sportster (indy shop) the owner said go get that coffee can off the shelf over there - it was full of axle spacers. At 1st glance they all looked the same but they're not & he said a common problem is the wheels being off-center, so he kept them on hand & checked every bike he worked on. Another indy shop I go to does too.

A lot of the best shops don't advertise because they don't need to - get plenty of business by word-of-mouth. But others in your area will know where they are if you don't already & I just found out about a new one in this area last Friday. Good ones are all over the country.
  3. paco

paco New Member

What year wheel are we talking about. tour glide wheels are pre-00. the one with the timken two piece tapered roller bearing if i not mistaken. 00 + is a sealed bearing. pre-00 has some shimwashers behind the bearing for the correct bearing to race load. the bearings will fail prematurely if not in place causing severe damage to the wheel, axle, swingarm. don't ask! Indy shops should have them like Art said, if all else fails HD can order them for you, if not in stock.

later.............