1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Red Key warning Light...what have I done?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Feb 6, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I fitted a power lead to the bike today, to power a GPS.

I initially thought about connecting to the accessory side of the fuse box, but in the end just went straight to the battery with the lead, via an inline fuse holder.

But I did want to know which each of the six fuses were, so I removed them one at a time, and checked what went out or failed to work.
    I think I worked it out, all apart from the sixth fuse , which does not seem to stop anything when pulled...so possibly a spare?

BUT...I now seem to have a problem. I turn on the ignition switch and the orange engine and the red key come on then go out as normal. but after a count of about 4 then red key comes back on then after a count of 2 or 3 it goes out again. It come on and goes off in the same time period if the engine has been started or not.

I do not have a key fob, and the dealer seems to think that there was either never an immobiliser fitted, or if it was, then it would never have been activated. The local dealer never activates them because of the trouble they cause.

So what is going on ? anyone tell me what I have done?
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a code issue. If its not a issue but just something you did it will go away after so many starts. If not take it to a dealer and they can tell you what it is. There is a way that you can check for code issues but I don't remember how to do it. Hotroadking or chuck will know.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

let see here red key , Is that to unlock the door to the house if Ill repute:D
    Sounds like at one time there was a alarm on the bike & when you hit the fuse area with the wire It set it up , to a point of turning on the light
  4. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

How to check if there is n alarm/immobilizer actually fitted? The harley dealer did not think the 2004 models had a unit fitted.

I will check DTC codes this morning to see if that throws up anything.

In the end I did not touch anything around the fuse area apart from pulling the fuses and replacing.

The new power source wire is hardwired directly to the battery positive and a frame bolt (via an inline fuse of course)
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

U1097 on P
    U1097 on S
    U1064 on Sp

And I think part numbers did appear for each unit (P, S, & Sp) I think I saw diag codes in the Clymer manual, but they mention the use of a breakout box...so will have to have a play next week...anyone know if the breakout box contains any electronics or is it just a link box of sorts? Could I make one? or are they available to buy ?...cheap?
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

seems they're a link box, HD won't sell them to the public, probley could make one but won't be fun. might be some aftermarket that sells them. i expect they will be expensive
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Do you know what it does? Looking at the picture in the Clymer manual I am imagining a box that has multiple plugs and sockets at each end, break the relevant cable at a plug/socket, and plug into the relevant fittings on the box. Each wire goes through the box to those sockets, which you connect socket to socket?
    Sound feasible?

If so, should not be too difficult to make if I can find the relevant sockets...just need to know if there are any other electronics, IC's etc in the box...if so then building one for me is no go....May be find a crashed bike and get the wiring loom?
  8. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

you end up pluging it in between your ecm and the harness. with this done your're able to montour, read inputs and outputs of your sensors and ect. while the bike is running. you can detect a faulty sensor :drunk:

might have too make one if you want one. could be done. i wasn't able to find one for sale
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  9. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well I'll forget that , and hope the Local dealer has one and get them to look at it if I can't sort it.

After I went for a ride today, I checked the diag codes, and they have changed

now it is
    P = no rsp

which seems to me that there is no connection to the ICM...ICM ? Igntion Control Module...yet the bike was running

S still get s the U1097 error code and an part number appears

Sp none error codes and a part number
    t = no rsp ...but I do not have a tacho.

I am wondering if this is a problem NOT connected with taking the fuses out the other day...but maybe the connection on the back of the Speedometer.

That is the only plug on the bike that I have ever removed...and that was a week or so ago...maybe that has worked loose.

I am planning a 2500 mile round trip ride to Salzburg, Austria at the end of next month...not too happy about going if I am still getting these random error codes.
  10. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds to see if it clears all the codes.

Just a guess on my part.
  11. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Strange you should mention that.... I was wondering if it was when I dis connected the battery that CAUSED the problem. I was imagining some complicated sequence and special expensive HD service tool that first needed to be attached to the bike BEFORE changing batteries, and as I had not done that disconnecting the battery had screwed something.
  12. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

just been down to the bike and had another look at it.
    Even with the diagnostic messages showing no ICM present in the system...the bike still starts.

I cleared the codes manually, and now the red key does not appear and all showing correct again....will just have to wait now to see if the codes re appear
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

50 on and off cycles of the ignition will clear any soft codes, ie one time code hit

a code that is always present like that of a failed sensor will stay on all the time

I would be you pulled a fuse running power to the ECM or a security system.

Don't have one but you should have the dealer order you the HD Service Manual
    and parts manual for your bike... It's better than Clymer and lists the codes etc..

I would cycle the ignition 50 times and see if it goes away..
  14. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Hey Neil If I don't forget my hardcopies tomorrow I will run those codes down for you in the HD service manuals. I love my Sporty but that computer system can be a real peach to contend with.
  15. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Thanks for that guys...and the info on those codes from the proper manual will be really appreciated...

I got it all sorted today, and it did not need the 50 cycles of the ignition.... I ran through the diag page and cleared each error manually. It still showed that I had no ICM connected, but the bike ran...went for a run around the block and after a couple of stop/starts even the No rsp message for the ICM was gone...so looks like it is all sorted...spurious errors as you say, probably caused by pulling the fuses.

I would like to get the manuals but am spending so much really they are just not on the list at the moment. All my old leathers are ok for short rides, but a long trip in cold and wet ...no thanks...so a load of new Gortex Spada jackets/ trousers/boots glove...that is two sets...one for the girlfriend as well.

Just got a silver Round Evo style cover for my big sucker air filter...but had to pay big time for it....in your money $65...I have also just been given an Oval Black one with the Screaming Eagle logo on...and I am sure the bloke wants a lot less for it than the $65....but the smaller silver one is just nice to ride with, you are not bashing your right leg on it quite as much as the oval one.
  16. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

A DTC U1097 indicates that the speedometer is not capable of sending this state of health message (Loss of all speedometer serial data) Basically following you conversation it sounds as if you had a loose connection in the Speedo and once you wiggled stuff around a bit and cleared codes you whipped it.

A DTC U1064 indicates that the TWM/TSSM is not receiving the state of health message. (Loss of TSM/TSSM serial data) Again loss connection sounds to be the cause following the flow chart.

Still looking for a NoRsp from ICM
  17. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

OK< thanks

Now I know how to clear it, and it was nothing serious....or possibly even anything actually wrong... I am tempted to pull the fuses again and see if the error re occurs.

The TSM has 2 two power feeds...a constant battery feed and ignition feed thru the Ignition Fuse. The Speedo has 3 battery feeds, constant battery power, accessory feed (1st key posn) and ignition feed thru INSTRUMENT fuse.

So pulling a the ignition fuse would cut power to the TSM and pulling the Instrument fuse would result in loss of one of the feeds to the Speedo.

Will try in the morning and see what happens. I think this is more likely than the loose connection theory, as I have wiggled the cable nd connectors and not seen any fault indicaions.

Will report back in 24 hrs...if I remember
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Why... it's not going to change
    and they are going to react the same.

Basically you had the ignition on and when
    you pulled that fuse the ICM lost connection..
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I agree, better to leave it alone and not make something else happen.
  20. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

yea, you are right of course...but I did have a problem, and do not know for sure why it happened. have an idea, but not sure, to know for sure would be good...but lso possibly expensive if it goes bad.