1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Removing filter in Gas tank

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. cardboard

3. cardboard

Anybody replace there in tank fuel line instead of replacing the whole assembly? I have three locations that have contacted the inside of the tank and have worn down the outside of the tubing, and one has a pin hole.
    I think the fix would be to use Gates SAE 30R10 Submersible Fuel Line, using a shorter length so that it doesn't hit the tank walls, and / or putting tie wraps on those contact points. Harley only sells the one line from the tank quick disconnect to the regulator/filter, the other line requires you to buy the fuel pump.

fuel line tank output to pump item #19 P/N 62194-04
    Retail: $55.92
    Chicago HD: $44.74
    Zanotti's: 36.35

fuel pump assembly item # 7 P/N 61016-04B
    Retail: $160.00
    Chicago HD: $128.00
    Zanotti's: 105.92

fuel pump assembly with regulator item #26 75218-04B
    Retail: $250.00
    Chicago HD: $200.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. cardboard

I haven't found it yet, but looks like NAPA auto parts carries it. 5/16" @ around $20.00 a foot, a lot cheaper then replacing the factory assembly.

Info below I found from searching on Google:

Gates Submersible Fuel Line:
    1]http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?brochure=3014&location_id=5165

NAPA Item# NBHH209:
    http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-lightnings/136826-some-good-info-about-tank-fuel-pump-hose.html

[​IMG]
  5. cardboard

Here's the low budget fix for the leaking factory fuel lines caused by fuel lines rubbing on the inside of the tank surfaces (A lot cheaper then having to buy the whole factory assembly). Made a shorter line from fuel filter housing output to tank output, original was to long and rubbed on top of the tank causing a pin hole, new line doesn't touch anything.

Also made the pump output to the regulator / filter housing shorter, this one fits snug around the regulator / filter housing, and when installed inside the tank it is snug in between the regulator / filter housing and the tanks fuel gauge housing, don't think that is going to vibrate and wear through like the factory line.

Also used constant tension fuel line clamps, similar to the original ones that are on the tanks output fuel line to the injector fuel rail. Didn't want to chance of screw type loosening from vibration, and didn't use the crimp type just in case the fuel line softened with age (constant tension fuel line clamps will self tighten).

Gates Submersible Fuel Line: http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=5091&location_id=541

I bought two one foot Gates Submersible Fuel Lines for $39.90 from: at LightningForcePerformance.com - Your American Muscle Parts Depot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. parker

parker New Member

Excellent info.:)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yep the lines rubbing and getting pin holes is common
  8. cardboard

Not with the Gates hoses
  9. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Great info CB!
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

When I replaced the fuel line in mine,I took the old line,sliced it length ways put it over the new line as a cover and secured it with a couple of zip ties...
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

you had this trouble with your new bike?
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

When I pulled it out of my 03 for the carb swap it all looked good no rubbing
  13. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

looks like a great fix . i just would use band type crimp clamps . with 60 psi on that hose. would make me feel better . when i installed my t max my fuel trims were way off and wide bands are very quick to tell you if your lean . had a very small pin hole and it was enough to see on data my rear cyld was lean . on a deuce tank they rub quite a bit.i did the same thing cut the old hose down the mid section and tie wrap it to the new one.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  14. cardboard

Not me, but a lot of folks after a while have had the problem with the hoses.
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

not me.........i got a carb!!!!!!!:D:D
  16. cardboard

Carbs are the Older generation. Unless you want to ride a older bike, there ain't no more carbs.

go into a motorcycle shop and try to buy a new bike with a Carb.

they are History. They don't atomize the fuel like fuel injected does.
    That's why they have been outlawed for anything new, Including outboard motors.
    No needle valves to jack with, no seats to git dirty, no floats to stick, No jets to have to clean or change. No screws to have to adjust.
    With EFI the choke is automatic, its push button startin.

While you sit in yer chair adjustin yer carb, I can do with a computer.

when you change yer jets out when you do a motor build. I can do with a comptuer.
    People with carbs are scared of fuel injected bikes cause they don't know them.
    You have a computer in yer house instead of pencil and pen or a typewritter don't you.
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

when your pullin the crap outa your tank and takin the visa card to the dealer for a new filter assembly...........i will sit in the chair to change my filter and be on the road in no time.................
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget kicking almost a grand for your T max & about $10 for jets & a beer or two for me & my carb :)
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Both do the job. Carbs are simpler easy to use a bit messy to tune

Efi takes some learning to get up to speed but it's the basic same thing a fuel delivery device

Efi provides you with significant advantages in tuning as you can tune to a throttle position and rpm to get exact AFR and tine for mpg or power or cool the idle. Plus you can tune timing and many other things from a laptop

Btw carbs are not outlawed. They are simply harder to tune to today's EPA standards

EFI can make more power too

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

And the World Goes Around and Round, Round and Round. :rolleyes: Here we go again!!!:rolleyes: