1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Removing th compensating sprocket..

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

:witsend:Hi, on my 1983 FXE shovelhead, I need to pull the shaft extention off the motor shaft that compensating sprocket mounts onto. Is there a special puller to remove the extention from the shaft or can I use a regular gear puller form the auto parts store?
    Anybody out there have experience with this?
    I am installing a belt drive and I am at the final obstacle which is removing the shaft extention of the moter shaft. Aftet I get it off I can install the belt and not have to worry about my primary leaking anymore.
    Thanks guys!!!
    Happy holidays.!
    TC
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

tom, ya really need to get a factory service manual.....will save time and money. a buddy was doin what your doing and went the wrong way with the wrench......ended up cutting with a die grinder and spending a lot of money on the parts he ruined........i cant remember the extension your talking about......not sure on the puller......
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My book for my 01 Springer say's I need a Primary drive locking tool as a tool to use when removing the compensating sprocket nut. I would strongly suggest as Chucktx said a HD factory service manual.
  4. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

I'm wondering the same thing. My Evo manual just says to remove the shaft extension, doesn't say how to go about it.
  5. chucktx

normally, if it doesnt state a tool is needed.........then ya dont need anything special. there is a tool section in the back of the book.....see if one is listed there....
  6. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I have manuals for both my bikes. Thanks.
    There's a collar type thing that goes over the engine shaft and inside the comp. sprocket.
    I just don't know how to pull it off.
    Tool section in back of manual is a good suggestion , thanks Chuck! You lost me for a second with the wrong way wrench and die grinder comment.
    I will check the tool sectionof the manual. Thanks guys!
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It should just slide off...in a perfect world:rolleyes: try some penetrating oil and wiggle, wiggle or GENTLY use a couple of pry bars on each side and penetrating oil or you can try a little heat(heat gun or hair dryer)under that there will be a spacer used to align the primary chain.
  8. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Lucifer. Nice picture by the way.!!
  9. chucktx

to help in siezing.....use a small bit of "never sieze"...........great on sparkplugs also...