1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Removing the innards from Sportster Speedo

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Feb 4, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

All the paint round the front bezel of my speedo on my 04 Sporty is peeling off, so last week I took the unit off. Removed the back plate , took the wires off and took the complete unit off the bike.

Trouble is I cant see how the electronics is removed from the from casing or how the front bezel and glass is removed.

I want to clean up the bezel and paint it up again..maybe baking the paint on...but want the glass and electronics out before I do this.

Anyone got any clues on how to split this thing?

Neil
  2. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Hey Neil, You will need to take the rubber boot thing off the reset switch. Just screws off. Then there are two screws on the back of your housing that come out and the guts slide out the front. That should give you a backplate, housing and all the innards you referred to. Problem is I don't know of a way to get the bezel and glass apart. I changed my XL883C to use a Dyna style Speedo housing with risers instead of the big Chrome crap that was on it from factory is the reason I know this one.
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

OK, thanks, maybe I need to pull a bit harder.
    I took the rubber boot off, and the two allen screws, and that allowed the back plate to come off, separate from the inner guts. All the innards remained inside the main housing. Will try again tomorrow with the help of the manual
  4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

You have a gasket on the top as well as the bottom. The one on the top is a bit more fussy about turning loose. Need to push on the innards from the back and it will work that gasket/seal loose for ya.
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

OK, will try again tomorrow. So by the sound of it, the top bezel and glass is just a push fit, or is the gauge somehow attached to it.

cheers
  6. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Well I don't know the answer to that Neil. I don't remember seeing how the glass would come off the plastic for the gauge. It may though but not sure. good luck
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I reckon I know after looking at the page in a manual. Since the glass and that front bezel all come off with the speedo, then I reckon that the bezel is crimped over the top of the plastic speedo body, so the only way to do it is to go around the inner hidden edge with a pry bar and pick it open, then it will lift off.
    I just done one like that on an old 1950's Fordson Dexta tractor RPM gauge, I had to fit a new glass to it.
    If that is the case, then it will probably be better just to mask it all off in place and spray it as it is.
  8. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

So what happened with this Neil? Did you figure it out and get it painted?
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Neil I was going to suggest you tape, prep and paint.
  10. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

No, not yet....may just leave it for now...I would like to put a tacho on any way, so the kits need the whole lot stripping to use a double housing , so will prob do it when I do that job....but that is a long while off yet.

I just bought a bike GPS today....£300 or thereabout, and I have one recommendation...DONRT buy TOM TOM Rider...any version..I have always used garmin in the past for Flying or outdoor stuff (trekking, Geo Caching... geocaching.com)

but went for a Tom Tom Europe V2....crap compared to garmin stuff....my fault I suppose, I bough too quickly, but I had been told they were good
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

buddy in england calls them Lost Lost
  12. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

The GPS function as far as it goes is OK, and all interfaces through the helmet bluetooth headset, and the phone as well...and music from iPod or phone if you want ...but my problem with it is the Route planning..You cant plan a route and specify which roads yu take. well not unless you create a waypoint along the route at virtually every road junction..

Will be ok once used to it I suppose...but not as convenient as the Route functions on SOME of the Garmin units...